1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC: Week 5 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Sep 23, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Seems like with Tuesday here, time for a new thread.

Even before Saturday, a couple of intriguing ones:
    --Could USC be facing a trap game on the road? I mean, Trojans teams perhaps more powerful than this one have had shocking losses the last couple years, and this is on a non-traditional game night, on the road.
    --If UConn beats Louisville on the road on Friday, do the Huskies deserve top 25 consideration? Are they a good candidate for the BCS slot?

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Unfortunately, I'm not too confident about UConn beating Louisville, but if they do, then I could see them sneaking in. After L'ville they've got UNC--if they win both then I'd guess they'd definitely be in. As far as the BCS, I'm still not sure they can win the Big East. As much as partisan as I am, I don't think they'd fare well if they got the bid.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

I dunno if Oregon State has enough to derail Southern Cal, even in Corvallis, but I might be willing to buy the trap game sort of stuff. There's the worrisome part.

Beating Louisville isn't much of a reason to vault anyone into the Top 25 (sorry, Freelance). Just not impressive enough anymore. A candidate for the BCS slot, though? Why not?

4. dooley_womack1

And North Carolina is one to watch for. It needs to show a bit more before I get too excited about 'em. Beating Rutgers looks less and less impressive by the moment.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

You're right about that, but the shellacking they gave 'em can't be discounted.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

Gagging that game away against Virginia Tech, a team with limited offensive options, given a big lead at home wasn't too impressive, either.

Not yet, Chapel Hill. See also: East Carolina.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I could see UConn getting the slot, and though they are a pretty good team, I'm guessing that winning the bid will have more to do with the lack of quality of their opponents than anything else. Rutgers stinks, WVU is down, L'Ville is blah, USF is eeking out wins, and Pitt has Wandstedt.

8. dooley_womack1

In my own personal rankings, I still have Va. Tech ranked. If the Hokies beat Nebraska (and I'm not sure I want them to, given the Corn's next foe), I will have been beared out.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Active Member

I think the Huskies have a good chance of beating Louisville....They've looked blah so far. The Big East is certainly down this year. But South Florida I think is the best team. UConn has to get past West Virginia two weeks before that. I just don't know if they can beat the 'eers, but no one picked them to be div co-champs last year either.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but a couple of Notre Dame football players, including Mike Golic Jr., got busted at a party over the weekend. Little Mike was caught being a minor with alcohol.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

No apology necessary Sam. UConn needed overtime to beat Temple 12-9 -- I don't care if they played that game in a monsoon or mud bowl, no team should need overtime to beat the Owls. Especially a team that thinks it should be in the Top 25.

This game will have tests for both teams. Donald Brown will test Louisville's defense -- and vice versa. It'll also be a test for Big East officiating. Hope they finally learned those pesky special teams rules.

This is another redemption game for Louisville. They failed miserably against Kentucky, the first redemption game, but have since rebounded with a couple solid efforts. They had UConn on the ropes, fair catch or not, and let the Huskies win last year. I'm not sure that happens this year.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Lousyville will be a spoiler in the Big East

Draft saved Draft deleted