1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC week 4 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 15, 2008.

1. dargan

dargan Active Member

If Bama's 10-2 and Wisconsin/Penn State/East Carolina are too, it would be ridiculous if the Tide wasn't the top-ranked of the four.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Perhaps... but compare SOS with a one-loss USC and SEC champ, no loss Oklahoma, East Carolina, Utah or BYU and Penn State or Wisconsin.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There's Toastchee all over my screen...
    A) JPW isn't the best quarterback in his family.
    B) The fact he's a better quarterback than Brodie Croyle is scary and laughable at the same time.

And Dargan, that might be true IF Bammer's the SEC champ or runner up. If it doesnt make the league championship game, it doesn't deserve consideration. Period. No team does.

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

Consideration for the BCS title game? Of course not. I'm just saying that if those four teams had the same record, considering who they played it's be very misguided to not have Bama ahead of the other three.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

There's still a very good chance the Bammers are an eight-win team this year. But I agree with Slappy...if Bama, or anyone, doesn't make the SEC title game, they don't deserve a shot at the national title. No way.

Nothin' would make me happier than a Bammer loss at Arkansas this week and a seven or eight win season. Well, there's a few things that would make me happier, but not many.

And did I catch someone saying JPW was one of the best QBs on Georgia's sked? HAHAHA.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I think we've seen this script already this decade with USC, Oklahoma, Auburn and Utah. And of course, the BCS will "tweak" the system again, like they always do.

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

For the record, I picked Bama to be an 8-4 team this season. Maybe they'll be 9-3 now since beating Clemson. Bama ain't winnin' 10 games.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any kind of feel for LSU-Auburn on Saturday? All logic says LSU should win in a walkover, but I've seen Tuberville come back from the dead too many times to feel confident, even with the defcon 1 meltdown their fan base is having.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

As someone said earlier, Tuberville has a knack for winning big games. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Auburn win this. Or LSU. Should be a great defensive game, maybe 17-10 if that high. I predicted 10 wins for Auburn in July. Not so sure about that now, but maybe.

10. dargan

dargan Active Member

I, too, picked Auburn to win 10 games in August, and to win the SEC West. As you said, Ryan, Auburn hasn't looked that good so far.

Remember, though, the home field has determined the winner in this series the last, what, six years? Maybe the trend is due to be bucked, but Tuberville will have his team ready for this. Tuberville is the most underrated coach in the country. LSU has no QB. I'm sticking with Auburn in this one.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Tebow's so last year :D

Completely forgot about him, but I think Georgia just sacked him again. I'll concede the point, but the rest of Georgia's schedule:

ASU -- Carpenter
    Bama -- JPW
    Tennessee -- Crompton. Not better than Rudy or JPW. Not yet, anyway.
    Vanderbilt -- Chris Nickson. Uh, no.
    LSU -- Seriously, a transfer from Harvard? SEC defenses aren't going to be intimidated by his SAT score or his trust fund.
    Florida -- Tebow
    Kentucky -- Mike Hartline is no Andre Woodson
    Auburn -- Chris Todd/Kodi Burns. Meh
    Georgia Tech -- Nesbitt's not scaring anybody as a passer.

12. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Georgia's pass rush was laughable in the first half of last year, dominant in the second. The schedule's brutal this year, but plateaued in a way that getting the D/O-line up to speed doesn't necessarily have to happen immediately. I'm worried like hayull about Carpenter having too much time in the pocket, but also...UNLV. I mean, yikes. Coaching. Get some.

UT '07 was the worst division champion the SEC East has ever had, and probably worse than any division champion the SEC West ever had other than Arkansas '02. They hung their hat on a grand total of one (1) game during the regular season- a dominant performance, yes, but one that came out of friggin nowhere and never returned. They got assaulted at Florida. Looked like a joke at Cal. Relied on stunning incompetence by the opposition to beat Vandy, Kentucky, and USC. Think of it this way- UK was 1st and goal from the 1, down 3 with seconds left, and had to settle for a FG. Or think of it this way- Vandy roughed the UT punter up 16 points in the second half. Or think of it this way- a missed UT FG that would have lost the USC game was waved off because of...a UT false start. The line between East champs and third friggin place was microscopic for that team. How Phil managed to toe that line, I'll never know.

Draft saved Draft deleted