1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC week 4 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 15, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Sorry. Not seeing that.

TCU (AP No. 28), Texas (No. 7), Kansas (19), Nebraska (33), Texas Tech (11), Missouri (5). And every one of those regular-season games is at home.

For Georgia, Alabama (9), LSU (6), Florida (4), Auburn (10), Tennessee (34), Auburn/Alabama/LSU again (10/9/6). Not to mention Kentucky (37). And only Alabama and Tennessee at home. And that's just the conference slate. There's also Arizona State (30), since you included TCU for Oklahoma. Also on the road.

There's no question that, for Georgia at least, the SEC slate is tougher. No question.

The trick for any of the SEC teams is what LSU showed last year: You can afford to lose to a team you're not supposed to lose to, but if you lose to one of the top-tier teams, it can be construed as proof that you can't run with the big boys. So Georgia, I think, might actually be hurt less if it loses to, say, Kentucky, than if it loses to Florida.

If Georgia and Florida have one loss each, and Georgia beats Florida, it's difficult to make the argument that Florida is better. You can pass off a loss to Kentucky or Vanderbilt or South Carolina as an off day, much as LSU was able to do that with Kentucky and Arkansas last year. Those were upsets. Out of the norm. Not an indicator of the team's quality. (At least as far as a lot of people saw it.)

The attitude I'm going to have to force myself to accept, and I'm working on it, is that winning an SEC championship is the most important thing for Georgia this year. It's concrete. It's done according to an understandable, straightforward system. If winning the SEC championship sets up a chance to win the national championship, great. If not, oh well.

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

OK, went to work today. I graduated from a Big Ten school that has a somewhat less-than-stellar football reputation, but has never lost to a MAC team.

I haven't been in the door 5 minutes when Ball State grads were talking trash about Saturday's BSU-Indiana game.

Not a big game on the national scene, but a pretty big game in our neck of the woods. Ball State's probably the top team in the MAC. Indiana trying to establish itself as a mid-tier Big Ten team after going 7-5 last season.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So obviously, you didn't go to Michigan State then....

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, no somewhat about that. :D

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. three_bags_full

Seriously, wouldn't the computers shake it out on SOS?

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

UT brought a lot back from last season's East champs. If Crompton stops sucking — admittedly a big if — the Vols could beat anyone in the league. Winning in Neyland is always a big deal, too, unless you're Florida.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Instead of what happens when the polls come out on Dec. 5, here's what Georgia should be concerned about: Its defense gave up 270 yards passing to Chris Smelley -- Chris Freakin' Smelley -- and they're facing the two best qbs on their schedule the next two weeks in Rudy Carpenter and John Parker Wilson. Without Jeff Owens, it's become clear they're going to have to take some chances and blitz more than the two times a game they've done so far. Because if Carpenter can sit back there with time, they're going to have trouble slowing him down.

9. three_bags_full

Rudy Carpenter and JPW are better than Tebow?

10. Tenn. looks pretty good when they're handing the ball off.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Come on, novelist.

Wilson? Really?

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have followed the MAC more closely than usual this season. There is A LOT of offense in that conference, including Ball State. I like Ball State, but I want to get into the heart of the conference's play before I anoint them for anything. Ball State has had an easy schedule compared to what most of those other MAC schools were willing to face, feasting on Northeastern and Akron. I'll give them a small amount of credit for the Navy game. Bowling Green, by contrast, has faced Pitt, Minnesota and Boise State. Miami of Ohio has faced Michigan and Vandy. Central Mich made itself a sacrificial lamb to Georgia.

The MAC has seen a lot of losses out of conference, but that is because a lot of those teams have stepped up to the big boys. Ball State is not one of those teams. I'll believe a lot more when the MAC is well into conference play and if they are mowing through it. I like Bowling Green and Miami of Ohio in the MAC East still. And Western and Central Michigan are both pretty good teams, along with Ball State in the West.

It's hard to say what you are going to get with Indiana yet. Their two wins were against Western Kentucky, which just turned I-A and Murray State, which is I-AA. If Ball State wins, I wouldn't get too carried away. They are probably fairly even teams.

Draft saved Draft deleted