1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC week 4 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 15, 2008.

1. dargan

dargan Active Member

True. It's meant everything in the LSU-Auburn series, FWIW.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Nicely played. Nicely played indeed.

3. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

That and essentially the same group of guys for Georgia have pasted Auburn the past two years. For whatever reason, Auburn hasn't figured out how to stop Stafford's bombs.

However, coming at the end of the Stretch O'Brutality, I can easily see Georgia having nothing left in the tank.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see USC and Oklahoma/Mizzou run the table. And those who think Bama might not lose this year...hahaha. Just keep watching. No SEC team goes undefeated. None.

I-AA game of the week: Appy State at James Madison. Appy State beat JMU in the playoffs last year after the Dukies failed on a questionable fourth down call and lost a fumble as they were trying to run out the clock. Or something like that.

I think Ole Miss-Vandy is this week. Could be a decent game between two improved teams. Not exactly a sexy matchup on name, but neither was Wake-Ole Miss, and that turned out to be pretty damn exciting.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'll be mighty thrilled if Bama gets out of Pigtown with its bacon intact. This was already setting up as a trap game, and with Arkansas postponing its pending beatdown in Austin, it seems like more of a trap than ever.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Mizzou made significant strides last season, especially in dispatching inferior opponents on the road.

The two biggest question marks are the games at Nebraska and at Texas. Mizzou is much better than Nebraska, but it hasn't won there since 1978. Texas has the talent, and it will be very interesting to see how Daniel plays there.

If Mizzou wins those two games, then I like the chances of getting to the Big 12 championship undefeated. But there's still a hell of a long way to go.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm starting to think USC-Oklahoma is going to the national championship game. There's no way in hell Georgia or Florida will go through the season undefeated.

Hell, I actually think Auburn's defense and home/away schedule give the Tigers a better shot at going unblemished ... not that they will. Auburn, like always, will play well in big games. But it could also do something silly, like beat LSU and Tennessee at home and then go lose at Vanderbilt or Ole Miss.

I know Auburn has to go to West Virginia, but look at Tubbs' record in big games against top-level opponents on the road. It's disgustingly good.

An Iron Bowl for the SEC West title would be awesome, but there's no way in hell Bama gets to that game with a shot at the Dome.

8. Hammer Pants

Maybe I'm just cruel, but I'm envisioning a scenario where Auburn makes another unbeaten run and gets shut out of the national title game. Blood trails would cover Indianapolis streets.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If an SEC school runs the table this year they'll be in the title game.

10. Hammer Pants

You're probably right, but it doesn't matter, because no team will go unbeaten in the league this year. Teams like Alabama and Ole Miss and Vanderbilt could beat any team in the league, and I still think State's going to beat one team it shouldn't. Arkansas and maybe Kentucky are the only teams that will suffer some real asskickings, in my opinion.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I agree. I think there is USC and then everyone else. They will have to blow one for me to think otherwise at this point. I don't care how bad the Pac-10 is

I think Oklahoma is the second best team, and I have a lot of respect for the Big 12. But if any SEC team runs the table with how stacked that conference is this year, I believe they have to be given a shot at the title game.

I don't think Georgia is going to run the table. I actually think it will be a Vandy or a Kentucky that surprises them. It is always that way. You have tough games every week and not that Vandy or Kentucky are horrible teams, but one of the weaker ones gets you. Georgia has Arizona State, Alabama, Tennesee, Vanderbilt, LSU, Florida, Kentucky, Auburn and Georgia Tech left and then a conference title game. If they get through that without a loss, they have earned a shot as far as I an concerned. They had probably the toughest schedule heading into this season.

Incidentally, Oklahoma has TCU, Baylor, Texas, Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska A&M, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State left. That isn't nearly as hard as what Georgia is facing.

I still think Oklahoma is the better team. But Georgia has the tougher schedule. If that can handle that schedule, they should get a shot. It'd be a shame if it comes down to three or more teams. It probably won't.

12. Hammer Pants

If Florida, Georgia or Auburn got through the SEC with one loss and won the conference title game, any of the three would probably have a better resume than Oklahoma. But the Sooners could be better than any of those teams.

Just another reason why there should be a PLAYOFF.

Draft saved Draft deleted