1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC Week 3 thread: Honoring Joe Montana and various random place-kickers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Sep 14, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Can't speak for Songbird, but this is what makes Stewart Mandel, of SI.com, think that.....

"While Nebraska spent the offseason putting a big, red target on Oct. 16, Washington fans have been eyeing Sept. 18 as the day when senior QB Jake Locker and second-year coach Steve Sarkisian can shock the nation. Locker will seize the opportunity to finally prove himself against an elite defense, while the Huskies will slow down first-year Nebraska sensation Taylor Martinez."

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If he gets hurt, he needs to do it this game. 25 percent of a season. He doesn't get hurt, the year is already lost.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Jake Locker is the better QB, although who knows what Taylor Martinez is capable of yet? Nebraska is the better team. But Washington is a good team. So I expect a close game.

Nebraska is the best defense Locker will see all season. There isn't a Pac 10 team that matches up with how physical Nebraska is up front, on defense and on offense.

Washington can win this game. I don't think they will. And if Locker doesn't have a good game, you can kiss the Heisman talk away in week 3.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

We'll see how well Washington's defense does stopping Martinez and the rest of Nebraska's ground attack. And you're right, Ragu, this is a good test for Locker, who had his coming out party about this time last year against USC.

And, of course, this is a good chance for the Pac-10 to make a statement against a national power ... ::) [/shameless cross thread]

5. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

This probably affects few, but figured I'd post. UMass' band director died last night, two days before its game with Michigan:

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/09/george_n_parks_umass_community.html

I was in the UConn MB in the 90s and before we went D-I, the football team's biggest rival (for years) was UMass. Dr. Parks was nothing but class. I hadn't thought about him at all until I found out about it last night. This is kind of a big deal in New England.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Southern Miss up 7-0 against visiting Kansas.
    Game has been pretty boring, except perhaps for Southern Miss fans.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Unless I see something from KU I haven't seen yet, Southern wins this one big. They're up 14-3 and doing about anything they want on both sides of the ball.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Make that 21-3 after blocked punt for TD. KU looks horrible.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Blocked punt = 21-3 = BBOC fail.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Kansas can beat a ranked ACC team, but doesn't belong on the same field with I-A NDSU and C-USA USM.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

KU touchdown only cuts it to 31-16 late. Meanwhile, Nevada is punking Cal.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Only by 24-14 at halftime. Fumble by Kaepernick gave Cal an easy TD. Nevada has almost 300 yards of offense.

Draft saved Draft deleted