1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC Week 3 thread: Honoring Joe Montana and various random place-kickers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Sep 14, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Games I have my eye on:

--Cal at Nevada on Friday in a game that could be for a spot in the AP top 25. With Kaepernick being a senior, this may be the last chance for quite a while for the Wolf Pack to get a defining win, after previous failures against Notre Dame and Missouri.
    --The Mallett Heisman watch will face an early test when Britney Haynes U. goes down to Georgia.
    --Virginia Tech hosts East Carolina, but it would not shock to see the Hokies fall to 0-3.
    --It would not shock me if Air Force gave Oklahoma a tough game. I will complement the Sooners for having a much better non-con slate than Texas.
    --BYU vs. Florida State in the This Would Have Been an Epic Duel 15 Years Ago Bowl
    --Nebraska will cream Washington
    --Clemson at Auburn in another game that could have a top 25 spot riding on it. Not sold on Auburn just yet.
    --I think Boise will take care of business at Wyoming
    --Texas Tech is my upset pick to beat Texas.
    --I think Houston will win at UCLA, but I don't think the Bruins are good enough for a win to lift the Cougars into BCS buster contention.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

KU travels to Southern Miss on Friday for an ESPN game. If the Jayhawks can win that, they might be able to realistically think bowl game this season, despite losing to North Dakota State. That would be something for Turner Gill, given his start in Lawrence.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'm interested in Cincy-NC State on Thursday, then Baylor-TCU, Iowa-Arizona coupled with Arizona State and Wisconsin and Maryland-West Virginia.

4. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Notre Dame vs. Sparty never fails to entertain.....even if it's often over goofy play, or an epic meltdown. Like Della, I'm interested in Iowa-Arizona. Not a vintage looking week.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Absolutely... this team will either trade blows until the score is 48-45 or they will turnover the ball like it is some sort of contest. It's a night game, and night games get wild at Spartan Stadium. The last time ND played a night game there it was a monsoon. Of course, John L. Smith decided to run the option with Drew Stanton in what one radio host called "Hurricane Katrina" epic soundbite.

The teams also had that overtime thriller in what must have been 2005, and 2002 had some pretty impressive offensive performances.

Should be a fun game to watch.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I would be all over Notre Dame with this one.
    A Michigan win over ND usually means a Sparty loss.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

ND-Sparty in the Would Have Been an Epic Duel 45 Years Ago Bowl

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Maybe not the sexiest marquis match-up, but UConn playing at Temple is a pretty good game. This is Randy Edsel's best UConn team and they could be in the top 25 by the time the year is out (I think they are going to run through some Big East opponents). And Temple is the best team in the MAC.

Good call on all of those games, Dooley.

I agree that the Cal-Nevada game is interesting. I think Cal will handle business, but I am a big Kaepernick and Vai Taua fan.
    I think Arkansas-Georgia is a toss up. Arkansas is the better team at this point, but Georgia is Georgia and always outperforms what it is on paper.
    I can't imagine Virginia Tech losing another one. East Carolina isn't that good, its two wins nothwithstanding, and they will not be able to roll up the score on Tech the way they did against those Conference USA Teams.
    Oklahoma should win by at least three TDs. Landry Jones got into his groove against Florida State and there is no way Air Force can handle them on either side of the ball.
    Florida State is embarrassed and will roll over BYU in Florida, similarly to what they did last year in Utah.
    I don't think Nebraska is going to cream Washington, but it will win. I think it will be a relatively close game.
    Auburn is a better team than Clemson, but I have no feel for either of the teams.
    Boise needs to run it up against Wyoming. My guess is they will.
    I agree that Texas Tech and Texas are much closer than a lot of people probably think. Tech could win the game. Not sure they will.
    Houston is better than UCLA, but Case Keenam may not play. If he does, that game will probably be a track meet.

Della, Cincy-NC State is a really even matchup. I like Cincy. TCU is going to kill Baylor. Iowa-Arizona is a toss-up. Interesting match-up. Wisconsin at home will handle Arizona State fairly easily. I have no feel for either Maryland or West Virginia. I don't think Maryland is that good. And I can never figure out West Virginia, which didn't impress me at all against Marshall.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Unless Georgia gets A.J. Green back, the Dogs are going to have a very hard time scoring enough to keep it close.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Key question for me is how is Dayne Crist's head doing? If he's seeing stars again, looks like ND has to put the son of this thread's namesake back into the fray. If that's true, the Spartans should roll -- although as others have noted, Michigan State is great at pulling defeat from the jaws of what should be easy/important victories.

As an aside, I noticed Nate wears Joe's SF number, rather than his ND number ... I guess Michael Floyd didn't want to give up No. 3.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

In fairness, Georgia did hold South Carolina to 17, including three in the second half. They still don't tackle well enough, but the defense appears fairly decent.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I think Iowa will be in trouble in the desert. The Hawkeyes have had too many kissing their tails for too long.

Draft saved Draft deleted