1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC week 13 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 16, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm gonna disregard that comment and root for the Broncos next week. And you know why.

Interesting though to see if in the case of a WMU loss, if CMU OR WMU get better bowls than the motor city. Ball State would be locked in to the Motor City Bowl as the Mac Champions.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

A friend in Knoxville informed me the fancy talking picture box says Brian Kelly to Tennesee.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

Tech @ OU; OU - 7.

O/U; 77

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Ball State has taken care of 2/3 of the Michigan schools and I got the rare, and I mean, RARE, sight of Mrs. Bubbler getting into a football game to cheer on the alma mater.

But none of that is important right now, because, as others have already mentioned, we were all "treated" to the uber-dumbassery that is Todd Harris PBP.

He is, without question, the worst PBP announcer of all-time.

Keep in mind, this guy's most prominent gig was the IRL's PBP spot a few years back, back before the open wheel unification when the IRL's audience was primarily Tony George Kool-Aid drinkers. Open wheel fans agree on nothing except one thing -- Harris was absolutely the worst announcer of all-time. Thankfully, they cashiered his ass after two years.

He had some gems tonight. The aforementioned lake effect snow was a whopper. I uttered a "what!" and Mrs. Bubbler asked why. Rather than explain it, I had a road atlas nearby and showed her where Mt. Pleasant is on the map. I believe, "what a fucking clown" was her response.

He seemed to have a fixation on calling everyone "Lewis". Yes, there's MiQuale Lewis, but twice he said, "Lewis drops back to pass" in reference to Nate Davis. And, as Slappy pointed out, HE CALLED HIS ANALYST RAY LEWIS!

My favorite one, however, was subtle. Late in the game, Ray Bentley said it would be wise for Ball State to coffin corner a punt. Harris said something along the lines of, "Coffin? Is it time to get the nails out for CMU?" You could tell by Bentley's reaction he thought Harris was a complete buffoon.

Harris reminds me of the nod, nod, wink, wink Eric Idle character from Monty Python. He so painfully tries to insinuate himself into everything in the most annoying fashion possible.

Anyway, to paraphrase Glengarry Glen Ross, "You are a shithead, Williamson Harris."

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

7? bullshit.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Yeah, Harris was that Hank Kingsley fills in for Larry Sanders kind of bad. Keep him on the sidelines. Didn't realize he's had such a spotty career doing play-by-play.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Glad Ball State won tonight, and I know there's still one more game (two, maybe) for them to play, but I wonder what might have been in line had the Cardinals beaten a real BCS opponent. A friend of mine, a Ball State alum, said West Virginia backed out of a game this season and that Ball State is going to Auburn next season. One game like that could have really helped their BCS numbers.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sad to say, beating Indiana doesn't prove much of anything. Ball State squeaked by in what was probably its biggest test of the season. In my personal rankings, I waited about 3-4 weeks longer than AP to put them in. At least Boise State has Oregon and Utah has Michigan (I guess) and TCU.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So they're calling it 42-35 Sooners? Or 42-35 Air Raid?

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've got to tell you, after looking at what you consider to be "meaningless" wins, you count a whole lot more of them than you should.

Your outlook is more suited to the days of unlimited scholarships.

An Indiana is quite capable of defeating Penn State, either if they're on, or if PSU comes in somewhat unfocused.

Vanderbilt can do the same to Alabama.

Oregon State can do the same to USC.

This does not make the contenders unworthy as much as it shows the relative parity in college football these days.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

A movie that I had to watch a second time to "get it".
    One of my all-time favorite flicks.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The bitch of it is, Ball State had Michigan and Nebraska two years previous and plays Auburn next year. This year was the gap where they didn't play a decent BCS school.

Draft saved Draft deleted