1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC Week 11 thread: Jack Mildren didn't need no stinkin' spread offense

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Nov 8, 2010.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

no hope in hoops at all?

2. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Actually, I am quite looking forward to basketball, whether Texas does all that well or not. Recently moved to ACC country and am quite pumped about the opportunity to see some games at Duke and UNC.

But no, I'm not holding out a ton of hope for Rick Barnes and Co.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Thanks for that link, D-3.

I covered the Dennis Lundy fumble game, as a stringer for the Daily Herald (a suburban Chicago daily). I usually covered prep games for them, but one of the sports editors knew I had just graduated from Iowa and could (and did) crash with friends for free.

Plus, at the time they gave me the assignment, the Wildcats had won a couple of Big 10 games, were 3-3-1 and had a chance to do the unheard of for NW football and qualify for a bowl game!

All of that happened in upcoming seasons, of course ... but in 1994, NW reverted to form and lost its last four games, including a 49-13 pounding by Iowa.

Truthfully, the main thing I remember from the game was how much better it was to sit in the front row of the Kinnick press box, instead of the Daily Iowan seats shoved way in the back, by the popcorn machine!

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

OK, forget all this bologna about Cam Newton, the SEC's nonconference schedule, the fumbles of Dennis Lundy ...

It's almost time for Boise State-Idaho, baby! It's all anyone is talking about in my neck of the woods (granted, I live in a pretty boring neck of the woods, but still).

Can the Vandals win? Let's see ...

* Boise State is second best among FBS teams in scoring offense (47.0 points per game) and fourth best in total offense (543.6 yards per game)

* Idaho is 82nd in scoring defense (29.3 points per game) and 103rd (out of 120 FBS teams) in total defense (436.8 yards per game)

Hey, it's two rivals playing each other! Throw out the record books and tune in to ESPN-2 at 6 p.m.

Coach Akey says "you're gonna love it!"

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

That's 6 p.m. Pacific Standard Time. Got me all excited for nuthin'.

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Same here! I was just about to turn on the TV (though the thought that it was an odd start time did cross my mind).

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hey, Testicle Tech and Buffalo have been playing for an hour on ESPNU. 7-3 Cardinals late first.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

If I had the U, I would probably tune in for that. Sadly, no such luck.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think one of the top four is going down and that two of the teams are playing on Versus makes me think nobody will see it.

11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Well, that was quick. Boise up 7-0 after a punt return 41 seconds into the game.

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

... And we're headed for a 60-10 final score in Idaho.

Draft saved Draft deleted