1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBC Week 10 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Louisville receiver Scott Long apparently tore his ACL in practice yesterday. Gone for the season.

Big loss for Louisville, as he was their most experienced receiver starting the year.

He's only played in three games this year -- could he still qualify for a medical redshirt?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This whole season hasn't made much sense from a TV standpoint. First, ESPN gets tons of good games, leaving CBS with the also-rans seemingly every week. Then, LSU gets Georgia and Bama during the day. Just weird. Has LSU had a home game at night this year? And I thought CBS was showing some 8 p.m. games this year? I remember one.

I love how LSU fans are assuming their boys are gonna lose to Bama just cause it's during the day. It'll make a difference, but geez. Have some faith. Or not. Whatever.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

What's wrong with 2:30?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

it's the SEC ... it's their birthright to get every game on national primetime.

boohoo, we're the SEC and have to play our TV games at 2:30. boohoo.

5. novelist_wannabe

Sonner's right. It appears LSU believes it has an advantage at night. Here's a news flash: It wouldn't have helped against Georgia. You don't attribute a spanking like that to the lighting conditions or the blood alcohol level of your fans. And it won't make a difference against Alabama.

6. dargan

dargan Active Member

Day vs. Night in Tiger Stadium

1960-present

Day record: 21-23-3
    Night record: 207-59-4

From 1960-99

Day record: 10-19-3
    Night record: 166-55-4

Since 2000
    Day record: 11-4
    Night record: 41-4

LSU has won 28 straight Saturday night games in Tiger Stadium.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I've got a cool day vs. night record, too

Drinking during the day vs. drinking only at night and the times it has led me to puke

1993-present

Day: About 4-5 dozen times, puked about 4-5 dozen times.
    Night: More times than I can remember, puked twice (both involved Cuervo).

Ok, maybe that wasn't so cool

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I don't think LSU's record at home in night games should determine when they play. Just that it's weird that CBS has gotten shit games for the most part this season. Now, all of a sudden, it gets Alabama-LSU.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Somebody's mentioned this before but ESPN gets to pick first on certain weeks. Could be that the WWL lucked out on the games that were available when it got to pick.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. dargan

dargan Active Member

Oh, no doubt. I'm not pointing out this stuff from a standpoint of, "We're the SEC, we should get primetime, blah blah blah."

I'm pointing this out from a fanboi looser standpoint. In my earlier post I said it was "un-freaking-believable" that LSU was playing another huge home game at 2:30. That's because I know LSU sucks during the day at home, and that it's weird that the two biggest home games of the season would both get put at 2:30 instead of 7 p.m. or later.

Like last year. Kicked off vs. VaTech at 8:15. Kicked off vs. Florida at 7:30. Kicked off vs. Auburn at 8.

It's just strange. No conspiracy theory. No feeling of primetime entitlement. Luck of the draw, I guess.

But looking at those day vs. night records hopefully explains why LSU folk would want a night game.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Not only is Appy-Wofford one of the best college football games (regardless of division) this weekend, but it's also a match-up between two of the nicest head coaches I've dealt with in any sport at any time. I miss those guys from my days in the Artist Formerly Known As I-AA world.

It's also an intriguing clash of styles, with Appy's spread and Wofford's old-school running game.

I can't think of a game I'd rather cover this weekend, other than Georgia-Florida or Texas-TTech. Unfortunately, I won't be covering any of the three.

12. novelist_wannabe

All valid points. But at the point where you give up 52 points, the kickoff time ceases to matter.

... and LSU fans thing Georgia fans are whiner. Sheesh ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted