1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FB posts costs prep team three wins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 27, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. outofplace

Possible, but unlikely. That said, I wouldn't call what they did malicious. They are trying to help their kids. They just have to be prepared to accept the consequences upon getting caught.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Your logic is flawed. When I was 17, I didn't really want to go to school. I preferred to sleep in and play Pong for hours on end, but my parents forced me to go to school.

Plus, I knew everything, so why should I have to listen to a bunch of boring teachers?

Where do you find these eager, entrepreneurial teens, Skippy?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How many parents get caught for this when their kids aren't athletes?

5. outofplace

I'm sure a much lower percentage, so?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's hard to catch someone for this if they get in. You basically need someone to rat them out (or for the person to make an ill-advised Facebook post).

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I agree with you on the "unlkely." In fact, given that the school's defined as a power, I might add a bit of "highly" to my "unlikely." I just know that, in my experience, correctly interpreting some of this stuff can be a dicey proposition. And some of it makes absolutely no sense. For example, we've been in the same school zone in the same school district for going on nine years. The principal at my younger daughter's school was my older daughter's fourth-grade teacher at that same school. Yet every year we have to prove residency. And how must we do that? A driver's license, you say? Silly you! No, only a current utility bill will do. Of course, since all of our bills come electronically, it's a printout of a bill. And just how easy would it be to gin up a fake water bill?

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

no

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Either some parent on the team whose kid lost playing time or some sharp-eyed opponent noticed and ratted them out, most likely.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is recruiting, pure and simple, and don't fool yourselves into believing otherwise.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's not very good recruiting then. Any powerhouse worth its salt would have made sure the parents had a new home and new jobs in the proper district.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Would you be a bad person if you ratted them out because it was your son who lost out on significant playing time as a result of their arrival? I mean, let's say your son's a senior, been biding his time, paying his dues, and it's fairly clear he's going to play a lot this year. Let's further stipulate that you are under no illusions as to his ability to play at the next level -- he won't, and you know it. You'd just like to see him enjoy the senior season he'd been counting on.

Let me emphasize that it wasn't me ... my son's only 14! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted