1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FB posts costs prep team three wins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I guess the answer is yes to whether you're a big idiot.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry, but they don't have the right to go to public school on somebody else's dime. The people who live in that district are paying for it with their taxes. If it is a better district, that probably means they are paying more, too.

Do I understand what the parents did? Absolutely. My parents did it when I was a senior in high school. The district boundaries changed that year, which would have forced me to change schools.

Was it wrong? Yes. Do I love that my parents did that for me? Absolutely. Would we have had a leg to stand on if we had gotten caught? Definitely not. Neither do these kids.

3. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

Yes I do. But then again, I think illegal aliens have a right to go to school here too, so take it for what it's worth. Listen, NONE OF THESE KIDS pay taxes yet. They just want to go to school, get an education and be the next Bill Gates or Eminem. Why should where their parents live stop them?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Didn't Eminem drop out of school in 9th grade?

5. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

Yes but he tried 9th grade 3 times and has become a successful human being after learning from his failures in school. Maybe if he went to a better public school he could have made even more money.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

First of all, they can get an education where they are. It just won't be as good.

Secondly, taking away their eligibility to play sports because they broke the rules is not the same thing as taking away their right to an education.

Thirdly, that is part of life in a capitalistic society -- where your parents live and how much money they have has an impact on your options in life.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You really haven't been in this business very long, have you?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He really hasn't been on this site that long, has he?

9. SkiptomyLou

SkiptomyLou Member

No. Enlighten me. How often do papers cost kids scholarships?

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Is there anyone out there who thinks there might be a non-malicious explanation for all this? Like the parents were divorcing and hadn't finalized it yet. Or they definitely were moving, but mom stayed behind to finish up a job and/or keep the house presentable and on the market. Not saying that's definitely what happened, but I am saying it's probably not unreasonable to think this might be an innocent mistake (on the parents' part).

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

He'd have to be in the business first.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

According to the parents who call newsrooms around the country to complain, we do it on a daily basis. And have been doing it for the last 50 years. It's all part of one big conspiracy.
    When you get your first sports writer job, how to continue the conspiracy will be covered in orientation (right after you learn that eighth-grade JV football players try just as hard as NFL players, and before the secret handshake).

Draft saved Draft deleted