1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fayetteville Observer sports reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Dennis Hall, Jan 18, 2008.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

From what I understand, the paper has already begun contacting qualified candidates.

2. Dennis Hall

Dennis Hall New Member

Zebracoy: You're not completely off base, but no, I haven't begun "contacting qualified candidates." I'm still gathering resumes and clips. I've contacted a few people who sent only resumes to ask them to also send clips. And I also sent some e-mails to answer questions and stuff like that. But I haven't narrowed the field yet. I hope to start on that next week, but it's not too late if anyone wants to send me something in the next week or so.

3. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Thanks for the update, Dennis. Always helpful to get the SE chiming in to give us first-hand info on these things. Good luck with narrowing down the field.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Dennis, Sorry for the misinformation. A fellow reporter pulled me aside at the game the other day and told me he had been contacted, but we were interrupted by a third party. I had assumed that it meant he was in contention.

Good to hear that you're still open to those who are hoping to get their stuff in.

5. Wait for me, wait for me!

6. Dennis isn't the SE, but the AME of Sports and New Media. Not nitpicking, but figured if anyone was using this for information that they might want to get it right.

7. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Ah, OK. Thanks for the clarification.

8. Khary McGhee

Khary McGhee New Member

Dennis is essentially the sports editor though, seeing as there is no one in the department currently with the title "sports editor."

And I doubt there will be.

9. My apologies, there was still an SE there this summer when I interviewed. Although, by rule, it would make sense to get a person's title right when applying for a job.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

No, you're right, CU. Especially since Dennis made the first post on this thread and included his title in said post.

11. RumRunner

RumRunner New Member

Any word on this one? (Yes, yes, I know, I'm hired!)

12. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

Any one know what is going on with this one?

Draft saved Draft deleted