1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fayetteville Observer sports reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Dennis Hall, Jan 18, 2008.

1. LemMan

LemMan Member

How's the weather in Fayetteville?

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Here's a curious question on a job like this, a mid-sized daily rag with a good reputation.

What would be the realistic pay range here?

I'm betting with "some daily newspaper experience" you're talking nowhere near 35K.

3. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I would say between 30-40K a year depending upon experience at a newspaper and on a beat.

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

See? That's what makes liberals out of newspaper people. That's a salary only a person with an MD wife can afford for any considerable length of time, especially if they desire family. Although, I must say, it's better that some of those job posts that reflect the audacity of offering less than $20,000 a year. Those places deserve nothing more than high school wannabe journalists. No one sacrificing the time for a four-year degree should sniff those places.

5. Khary McGhee

Khary McGhee New Member

This was my beat (region colleges) before I moved to features and Mikey took it over.

Fun beat. There are a lot of great stories over at Fayetteville State. The annual Central Intercollegaite Athetlic Association basketball tournament in Charlotte is a major, major event (the CIAA is the oldes historically black athletic conference in the country, and the tournament is only behind the ACC and SEC tournament in terms of attendance...it's also televised live on ESPN networks, the only NCAA Division II conference tournament to have that privilege).

By extension, there are a lots of good stories coming out of the CIAA, if only because the conference can be a tad dysfunctional at times.

Didn't do much with high schools when I was at the Observer, but the coverage area is so vast that there are a tons of stories out there. The Observer does a great job on preps in Cumberland County but less so in surrounding counties. Adding another staffer should help.

And never worked for Dennis, but knew of him when we were both in the DFW market (he was at the Morning News and I was at the Star-Telegram). Heard nothing but good things.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Your best post yet, Yawn. Well said.

Is Brett Friedlander still there? Good guy, good writer.

7. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

Friedlander is still there, as well as Sammy Batten, Earl Vaughn and Thomas Pope.

8. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

A pretty good crew.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

And now, these people own the papers and have tainted the ability to report. Because you wouldn't dare write a critical remark against your owner, lest ye be fired.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I'm not referring to your daily liberal slam, Yawn. I'm referring to your lucid point about the ridiculous pay a job like Fayetteville -- and nearly all non big-time metros -- offer.

The ability to report is alive and well... except when you're talking about reporting on your own paper. Then, papers are as closed-mouthed as the most secretive politician.

Then again, we've been down this path before.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Did I say you were referring to my liberal slam?

You just supported the point again. I said newspapers won't challenge their owners on issues relevant and involving in a negative way that ownership or its business philosophy.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Just trying to figure out how -- and better yet, how -- this became a political thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted