1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favre's sanity officially has jumped the shark.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

After that bullshit roughing-the-passer penalty that kept alive Seattle's go-ahead drive, I would stood right there and glared too.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The difference in the PROCESS between your rips, or mine, here on this message board and a Mariotti, Paige.... or any other number of columnist putzes... is nil.

I'm not besmirching the baseball writers' character, just their knowledge and capability.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

As usual, critiques of your favorite players/teams clouds your judgment.

I'm going to presume you know the difference between random rips on a message board and a bylined column.

If I was going to write a Dan Marino column, I'd, you know, talk to his teammates and opponents and coaches. If that is now a prerequiste for criticizing the man for what I saw for nearly 20 years in the NFL, let me know and I'll get right on the horn looking for feedback.

And by calling writers stupid, you ARE besmirching their character.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

a. NOTHING has clouded my judgement on this one. The Woody Paiges and Mariottis and many like them (my reference point) would do no such thing. Purely message-board muster. Many, many assholes (definitely ripping the fuck out of their character with that) such as that dynamic duo use the terms "soft".... "no heart"... "quit" .... based on a 3-20 in a playoff series ... or three picks in a playoff game..... or finishing out of an Olympic swimming medal by .001 seconds. Those fuckers are compromised by their purely couch-potato childhood, pubescence (hehe) and adulthood. Your depiction of Marino made me think about how much guys like the aforementioned pair hurt our discipline's reputation. There are TONS of great athletes, who clear so many hurdles to get where they are.... just so some doughboys can toss lazy, lazy, lazy verbal Molotovs when they finish just short on the grandest stage in the world.

b. Questioning someone's ability... never... equates to doubting their character. Please send me that dictionary you were brought up with.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Nice rant, Pube.

6. stevenash

stevenash Member

yeah, but most of that is to blame on his injuries and receivers. he had maybe one good receiver to throw to who could catch. and back on the injuries topic, the thumb doesn't affect the throwing motion. he had two pincehd nerves, one in his ring finger the other in his pinkie. those are the two fingers that add the rotation of the ball at the last second before you let go of it.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Favre won a Super Bowl the season his best receiver blew out his kneee. Frickin' Andre Rison was catching TDs in that game. Bottom line: Favre used to be good enough to overcome deficiencies in his WR corps. Not anymore.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Say what you want about Andre Rison as a person, but as a receiver, he was damn good.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Not in Cleveland he wasn't.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Post 21K is spent arguing with Columbo. Appropriate.

Where have I ever called Marino soft or said he was a lesser man because he never won a Super Bowl? I never said any of that. I said that watching from afar, I thought he was a selfish guy who blamed everyone but himself when the Dolphins struggled. And maybe it wasn't his fault a lot of the time. But it made him look like a shitty teammate when he stomped and ranted and raved when things were falling apart.

And your criticisms of the folks who vote on baseball awards goes far, far beyond "they suck" and well into character-smashing territory.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

On reflection, I'll give you the baseball assertion.

I think that mistake after mistake, combined with insufferable arrogance of many I have come in contact with, combined with blinders applied to issues (we only want to cover games!) have soured me on the group as a whole.

They get anger steaming out of me.

12. Is there anything more trendy right now than to piss on Favre? The guy's still one of the best in the business. Give up the INT song and dance. They're down drastically this year, and even last year he threw most while his team was losing by three touchdowns. Whoopity-doo.

And he's not as good as he was during the Packers' Super Bowl years? No shit. That was now a full decade ago. You tell me what NFL quarterback in his upper 30s played as well as he did when he was in his upper 20s.

As far as TV guys, yes, they fill the air with endless Favre praise, enough to make even the most die-hard Packers fan sick. You'll certainly get no argument from me there.

And to the poster who tried to drag Marino's credentials through the mud ... um ... not the best way to get your point across, IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted