1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favre's sanity officially has jumped the shark.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, Nov 27, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'll have to disagree on Marino. Made some pretty decent decisions in his career, too. Not perfect, of course. The spike fake against the Jets stands out.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I'm going to Cliff's Notes this... just don't have the patience to deal with opinion so ill-informed.

One skill? You mean, he didn't know how to hand off? Or do you mean he didn't know how to draft RB or defense?

Great, great pocket awareness... I've never seen anyone better taking a half step up, to the left, to the right to create the time to get someone open.

All of those balls thrown away to avoid sacks, yet, since sacks don't detract from passer rating, guess whose passer rating was hurt while he was helping the team?

The 1986-1989 Dolphins win about 12 games combined without Marino. And that killed him, because they were stuck in the middle of the draft because of one player... as Shula choked pick after pick.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Do you have the ability to argue without being insulting? Just curious.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Shut the fuck up, you ... great surgeon.

But, yes, I have no problem arguing in respectful fashion, when people don't try insulting my intelligence.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Wow, what brought that on? Marriage troubles, pube?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I will preface this by saying that I have always preferred the "cool cat" type of quarterback. And I put a lot of stock in guys who find a way to win. My favorite player ever was Joe Montana. I am a big Tom Brady guy. Brett Favre is my big-armed, gun-slinging exception. I've always loved him (for more reasons than I'll get into here).

I hated Dan Marino when he was playing. Couldn't stand him.

And all of that said, I'd take Marino over Favre. Quickest release I have ever seen. And with a flick of the wrist he threw ridiculously accurate fastballs. Favre comes close, and he does have the Super Bowl win, but Favre has consistently had a better team around him (until recently) than Marino did. Marino never had a RB as good as Ahman Green in his prime (or Dorsey Levens, even). Also, even though I know Marino served up picks with the best of them, Favre has the propensity to serve up more game-killers. It's what puts Favre in the same class in the first place--he's fearless and has pulled off some ridiculous throws into tight coverage in big situations. It's also what makes him a bit more mistake-prone.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

aahhhhh........Didn't get the Seattle references in those......my mistake.......

BTW---You didn't set money on fire, and buy Def Lep's Cover Song CD, did ya?

Heard "Rock On", and was tempted to set my car on fire for allowing such rubbish to flow through my speakers.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

While I am a foolish Def Lep fan, even going so far as to buy Slang, I will not buy the cover song CD. I have standards, dammit, and if I go see them on this tour, they had better be playing their songs, not that other dreck!

They streamed it over their Web site before it was released . . . and, um, I listened to it. Yeech.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

You didn't listen to the whole CD.......did ya?

10. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

This thread about Favre jumping the shark is so silly. He is still playing at a high level and leading his team to a victory tonight. Only The Ohio State University ranks as high as Favre in sports icons in my mind.

1. Favre, The Ohio State University.
    2. Cleveland Indians.
    3. Cleveland Cavaliers.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Um, uh, um . . . no comment. I own Slang, dammit!

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

What about Bobby Hoying? Where's Craig Krenzel on that list?

Draft saved Draft deleted