1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favre's first interview since March is with...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Norman Stansfield, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If Brett's got the itch, he should go get a shot to clear it up...

2. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I'm not saying it's too much to ask him to make up his mind by the draft, but everyone wants it both ways; they say, "The Packers have moved on so they can't possibly bring him back," and at the same time say (two weeks before training camp, I might add), "Favre would be perfect in Minnesota," or whereever, as if it would be no problem for Favre to just show up at a new place and lead a team to the Super Bowl. If the latter is true, then the best place for him to land is ... Green frickin' Bay. What's the problem?

I realize that they have grown tired of the flip-flopping, as have everyone else. But they do have a chance now to have him as their No. 1 quarterback. If he gives them the best chance to win, then they should bring him back as the starter.

3. But Thompson's job is to consider more than just the present. He must think long-term, too, and apparently he feels that, long-term, the Packers will be better off without Favre on their roster in 2008.

(Also, you know the latter is not true.)

4. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I do know the latter is not likely true (although a lot of "experts" think it is), but I also believe that, right now, of all teams, Favre gives the Packers the best chance to win this year, no matter how much time he's missed since "retiring."

And winning now is also Thompson's job, considering where this team is at right now. They weren't 6-10 and rebuilding last year. You know what they did. They were the youngest team in the NFL and have all of the pieces back, except Favre. Quarterback is a huge question mark right now. If Rodgers falters and Favre has been shipped off, Thompson's in big, big trouble.

5. He's in even bigger trouble when he accepts Favre back, Rodgers gets fed up (justifiably) and walks after 2009 has a free agent, and the Packers are left with Brian Brohm or Matt Flynn.

6. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Why? What do we really know about Rodgers? Maybe Brohm is the heir apparent; they did draft him in the second round, after all.

Windows for winning are way too small nowadays. If the Packers go with Rodgers and he falters, all of a sudden guys get older, leave as free agents, etc., and suddenly you're rebuilding again without accomplishing anything (which could happen anyway).

7. Reports out of GB are that Thompson and McCarthy both like Rodgers a lot. I even read one that said some folks within the organization felt Rodgers outplayed Favre in training camp last year.

TT clearly believes Rodgers is GB's QB of the future, and wants to preserve that. Disagree if you will, but you can at least understand it coming from the guy who is entrusted with the long-term health of the organization.

8. Nobody can possibly blame the Packers for being sick of all of Favre's bullshit.

9. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I seriously laughed out loud reading this.

10. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Add to that, completely uneducated on Brett's yo-yoing the media over the years with his am I staying or am I retiring leaf plucking.

I think that was Brett's aim in going to her for that interview.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If the Packers were to let Favre come back and immediately hand him the starting job, it would be a tremendous F-you to Rodgers.

Rodgers would have had a tough enough time being seen as Favre's succesor. But if Favre came back to Green Bay, and then retired the next year, how could Rodgers gain the confidence of the team all over again?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think the Packers would have a problem telling Rodgers to fuck off if they wanted Favre back, but after playing the retirement game so many times, the Packers finally decided to tell Favre to fuck off.

He's a great player, one of the best ever, but he wore out his welcome.

He said in the interview that they should have given him until training camp to make up his mind. Is there a team in the NFL that would do that with its starting QB?

Draft saved Draft deleted