1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favre's critics include some teammates

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GuessWho, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Nobody was saying anything when they were 8-3.

Thomas Jones played like crap last Sunday and the anonymous veteran probably did, too. Favre is an attention seeker, no doubt, but this is chickenshit stuff and really very petty.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was surprised that the "anonymous veteran" got as much credibility as he did. Not saying what he said was a surprise, but the anonymity got so much play.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Why? It's Favre. Anything at all about The Guy Who Loves Football More Than Anyone Else Alive Or Dead Or Frozen is going to get huge play.

And honestly, if I was pursuing that story, I might want someone to give me the dirt anonymously. makes it sound more salicious and dangerous that way...that someone's actually daring to badmouth Favre, but the only way he can do so is anonymously, b/c people have been deported to Siberia for less.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If you're asking about Favre, he was pontificating on the season and The State of The Jets to the assembled scribes, TV and radio folk.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Bingo. Everything was hunky dory after Week 12 when people were talking about a "Subway Super Bowl."

Then he tore the biceps, didn't get it looked at - something that is described as being a "warrior" when the player is successful and "selfish" when he isn't - and nosedived. But I'll ask this: Would the Jets be better off next year with a healthy Favre who has a year in the system under his belt or Kellen Clemens?

As a journalist, I love that Thomas Jones said this. I like guys willing to speak their mind. That said, I think it's pretty weak for him to burn a teammate like that.

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I actually give Jones credit for putting his name to it. The anonymous stuff is garbage. Somone upset because Brett didn't go out to dinner with them on the road? How about you start playing better. What happened to the defense the last month of the season? Where was the pass rush? Granted the JEts were a bit overrated, having beaten a bunch of crappy teams (Titans notwithstanding) early on and Favre should shoulder some of the blame, but the entire team stunk those last few games.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

We'll see how long the Jets put up with the "i'm retiring/no i'm not/yes i am/maybe not/i think i will after all/then again maybe not/hey wait i'm back" etc etc etc bullshit.

The Jets don't have 15 years of HOF history with Favre. They've got one marginally successful season. Maybe the Packers were willing to put the future of the franchise on hold for years on end waiting for him to make up his mind; my bet, the Jets won't be.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Overnight, Jet sources have noted that they won't be wholly offended should Farve
    decide to retire.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Thomas Jones is not without some history of playing like a dog. See Arizona Cardinals.

I can't stand Favre or this ceaseless soap opera, but if you're going to say something as lame and catty as "He wouldn't dine with us," then don't go anonymous.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

ESPN just reported that Brett Favre had liver and fava beans for dinner last night.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted