1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favre's agent calls Favre a drama queen.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree that this is all just a ploy to get out of the first few weeks of training camp.

I also agree that the Packers should be the favorites in the North (and maybe the NFC) this season.

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I really don't see how you put a "C" on the jersey of a player who feels he's too good to attend training camp and sweat with his teammates.

And as a Packer fan, I'm more than content to let Brett Fav-ruh play his little games. At least he's someone else's problem now.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

To echo Mizzougrad...

It really does say something that, in a league where you NEED a great/solid QB and only about 14-16 qualify, more teams were not making noise about getting Favre.

As a head coach, want to go on the Hot Seat right away? Bring in Favre. Only two (Holmgren and, to a little extent, McCarthy) have been able to reign him in. Every one else - Rhodes, Sherman and Mangini - couldn't and got canned.

I see Childress a lot more in the Rhodes/Sherman/Mangini camp than Holmgren/McCarthy.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Favre's diva act really didn't take foothold until Sherman, who enabled him to get away with it.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sherman has got to be one of the worst coaches in the last 20 years to have a very good record. It says a lot about him that he's barely sniffed another NFL HC job five years after being canned. Hell, he was the third choice in Buffalo when they hired Jauron.

6. exmediahack

Why didn't Sherman get a sniff?

He was the HC in 2000-05, against the Bears/Vikings/Lions in his division. If you throw out the games against those three teams, Sherman's Packers were exactly .500.

That's why.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Why would you throw out those games?

8. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Personally I think Sherman did, and continues to, take way too much grief. You can say what you want about schedules and what not, he still took over a team that went 8-8 under Rhodes and looked like it was really declining and got them back to perennial division champions and decent contenders every year. There were bad decisions here and there but the guy really wasn't that bad. That confrontation with Sapp is still one of the coolest things I've ever seen from a HC, especially one who was pretty calm 99% of the time.

The real mistake was making him GM. That was when he got out of control with awful FA signings and giving extensions to players who clearly getting worse but were "good guys" (see Ahman Green). He was too loyal to be a good GM.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Just as long as your cell phone is on vibrate when addressing him.

10. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

The sequence that starts around the :55 mark is my favorite:

"No more rocket balls, please?"

11. exmediahack

The NFL films of Favre/Holmgren from 1992-96 are fantastic. You could see the maturation process with Favre under such a short amount of time.

Holmgren nearly pulled him in 1993 but held off.

12. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Right. Rhodes only had one year, so I don't really think we can fault him for not reining in Favre. Sherman, on the other hand, had a nice long tenure.

Draft saved Draft deleted