1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favre - stay or go?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Bubbler, just curious, why did the Packers pass it only five times in the first half? Do they not trust him? Or was that the game plan? Just seems bizarre to see the Packers attempt to win that way.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm not bubbler, but if you don't mind I'll fill in. The new coach Mike McCarthy is hellbent on establishing the run. And when they failed on two third-and-1s and a fourth-and-1 they ended up not having very many first-half plays (20). Also, along with his five attempts, he also was sacked three times in the half, so eight (plus a pass by the punter, making it nine) of the 20 plays were actually called to be pass plays.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Ditto ... the Bears dominated TOP in the first half.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I've made it clear in the past that as a Bears fan I hate the Packers, but I've always respected the hell out of Favre. With that said, I really hope he sticks around and sets the franchise back a few more years. :D

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Fave should have know better -- with 17 rookies on the roster, no way could they compete for the postseason.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Now that they have KoRo, Favre realizes it's all worth it.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Don't let the facts get in the way of the past two seasons, tony?

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'll defer to Old Tony. I was at the Brewer game during the first half, only heard the second half on the radio. But time of possession was a major factor.

And as much as it makes me wretch to write this, here's one factor that hasn't been mentioned: this WAS the Bears defense and they ain't shabby.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I may wholeheartedly disagree with his political views, but I trust tony to know the Packers.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just let him flame out. The Packers won a Super Bowl with him. Give him his due. Let him die like a shooting star, and then restart the franchise. Aaron Rodgers can't wait his fucking turn.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, let's put it this way, then: Peyton Manning wouldn't have looked very good on the Packers last year, either.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

True, but a shutout? An aging Bus ran straight through Urlacher at the goal line last season, Favre could surely find some hole in that defense for one score. But any team with rookie guards probably won't protect any quarterback for long.

Draft saved Draft deleted