1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favre is a grandfather

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

As I posted, my grandfather has kids currently ranging in age from 25 to 65.

My mom is his oldest child (she's 65).

I'm in my 30s and have 4 aunts and uncles who are younger than me and one who is the same age as me.

Uncle Pablo is 25.
    Uncle Norman is 27.
    Aunt Glenda is 30.
    Uncle Robert is 32.

My grandfather kept marrying younger women and having kids with each younger wife. We think he married 7 times. I believe he had Pablo is his 50s. My mother thinks she has 13-14 half siblings.

What was funny was when Gramps ditched wife #3, left her and their 4 kids penniless... so my family took them in for awhile when I was in the 7th grade.

Uncle Brian is the same age as me, and we were put in the same homeroom. Nobody in the 7th grade believed he was my uncle.

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Will the priest officiate at the wedding from the shotgun formation?

3. The No. 7

The No. 7 Member

I think a first-time parent in their early 30s is either right in the middle or on the younger side these days, particularly if you're college-educated. I'm 26 and married with no kids, and none of my friends have had children, either. With the life expectancy so high for our generation, the late 20s/early 30s is a drop in the bucket. My husband and I are both looking to leave journalism, so we want to work on new careers before having children. A lot of our friends don't want kids, ever, while some feel too unsettled to have a family.

My mom was almost 25 when she had me, and my dad was 36. I was their first child. My youngest sister was born when my mom was 35 and my dad 46. My grandmothers were 26 and 29 when they had their first children. So I guess my family has always had a tendency to wait. I better get on it, though: I have crappy genetics on my side. Three of my grandparents died at 60 or under, all of heart issues. I did have a grandfather who died at 87, so maybe I have a little hope.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wow, Lugnuts, Grampapa was a rolling stone!

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

When I was 40, I had a 3 and 1 yr old. Wow, boy was I late. Oh but the 25-35 yrs? Pretty fun.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

On the same note, my father and his stepmother are 3 months apart in age.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

My ex's grandparents have two great-grandsons (my second and third sons) who are older than their two youngest grandchildren.

It's because my ex's mother is the oldest in her family by several years and she also had her children fairly young, while her youngest brother was into his 30s before he started having children.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Same here again. My mom was also turning 32 when I was born, and my dad was turning 39. My last great-grandparent died about eight or nine years earlier. I only ever had one grandparent in my life, my mother's mother who was 58 when I was born. Luckily, she lived until she was 89, so I had her for a long time.....but she was the only one I ever had.

My kids are luckier - they still have all four grandparents and two great-grandparents, and they were able to at least meet two other great-grandparents while they were alive.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

That's how it is with my parents. They have great-grandchildren who are 6 and 8; my kids -- their grandchildren -- are 5 and 3. And I'm 46, so I'm an old dad. I've gotten the "Is that your grandbaby?" question a few times.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

On the other extreme, this reminds me of one of the all-time great geneology quirks:

The grandson of former President John Tyler is still alive.

This is the John Tyler who was born in 1790.

1) John Tyler (1790-1862) married Julia Gardiner in the 1840's, and fathered 7 children, including:

2) Lyon Gardiner Tyler (1853-1935). who married Sue Ruffin and had 3 children, including:

3) Harrison Ruffin Tyler (1928-living)

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Holy. Shit.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Along the same vein, my great grandfather, on my mom's side, fought in the Civil War.

If he was still alive, he'd be around 170.

The secret is that my great grandmother was roughly 40 years younger when they married. As she was his fourth or fifth wife. Also my grandmother and mother were each the last in a long line of siblings.

Draft saved Draft deleted