1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favre done?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BadgerBeer, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Where you dead during the Marino era? Troy Aikman over Dan Marino. No-FUCKING-WAY

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Not to intrude on the important evaluation of Favre's standing in the firmament of those Americans who can throw a thing really hard; or his motives for deciding to discontinue doing so, but here's a question:

Why let the news dribble out this way? Why not call a press conference and announce it properly?

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Marino never really had the running game.

Of course, it was in large part Marino's fault they never had the running game, because it pretty much had to be about Marino.

God, Shula was a weak coach, late. WEAK. WEAK.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That's a hard sell to make, especially if you take in playoff performances over their careers. And I'd much rather see Marino over Aikman. But I don't think it works.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Favre thinking he's done and the timing of it (after he broke some important records), those aren't mutually exclusive things. He can think he emptied the tank this year, and maybe he would have thought that even if he didn't break the records.

Am I saying that is/isn't the case? No. Retiring now does look bad. But to say it's a one-or-the-other choice is foolhardy.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I brainfarted Marino...

Revised...

1. Montana
    2. Elway
    3. Favre
    4. Young
    5. Marino
    6. Aikman

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Maybe Favre thought this year was a fluke and blowing the playoff game was all he had in the tank.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

1. Marino (and it's not even close)
    2. Favre
    3. Montana
    4. P.Manning
    5. Young

Elway was villified, yet Terrell Davis and plenty of chop-blocking produce two Lombardi Trophies and suddenly he's one of the best ever? No.

Aikman? That's even funnier.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Given his age, his durability and some of the physical issues he undoubtedly faces now, I don't really think he owes anyone another season, no matter how good the Pack might be in '08.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You're on drugs if you think Marino was the best ever... He wasn't even the best QB in his HOF class...

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Once Elway had the running game, and the rushing defense, the guy was dynamite. And in his later years, once he attained full maturity and bulked out completely, he looked and performed precisely how a modern QB should look and perform.

Do I love the guy? Hell, no. But when that team finally got where it needed to be, he was the stone nuts. For the Packers to have been favored over them was laughable.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You were on drugs from excluding him from your original list.

Name another QB who could have pulled the '85 Bears defense apart.

Draft saved Draft deleted