1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favre demands trade

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, May 13, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What does Len Bias have in common with a rose......

Both die the day after they are picked.....

Sorry, couldn't resist......

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What team is a quarterback away from winning a Super Bowl? Because those are the only teams who should even entertain trading for Favre.

I can think of only one -- the Bears and I can't see the Packers trading one of their all-timers within the division to one of their bitter rivals.

You might be able to make a case for Denver, though I can't see them pulling the plug on Cutler yet, and Carolina, but they have a quarterback who already took them there ....but all of the teams with a realistic shot at getting to the Super Bowl -- Indy, New England, Baltimore, Cinncy, the Jets, Steelers, perhaps the Titans, San Diego, Seattle, Dallas....they all have a top quarterback in place.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Brilliant comparison.

Especially since Favre consists of 3/5 of the Packers starting lineup just as Bird, McHale and Parrish did for the Celtics. ::)

Not to mention that Favre's biggest beef is that the Packers are BUILDING FOR THE FUTURE and not getting him help RIGHT NOW.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a great comparison...

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Another update from his hometown paper:
    http://www.sunherald.com/185/story/53412.html

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Count the Sun Herald as one entity not eager to see Brett Favre retire...

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Thanks for agreeing with me on the Celtics comment.

If Packers do trade Favre, please send him to Oakland.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, he can "mentor" JaMarcus Russell. "Lookee here sonny, here's how I did it when I led the Packers to the Super Bowl title, when you were in fourth grade. Are you listening?" ::) ::) :D

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Indeed. I'm sure as hell not quoting the pic again, but I sense projectile in my future.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

OK, what does this mean?

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

BYH, not being sarcastic at all. And the stat was only for this past year. Rodgers also played in one other game in mop-up duty before breaking his foot in the New England game. The stat I cited was not including the Baltimore game the year before. I just think the number of plays Rodgers didn't get through his reads quick enough to get a pass off was telling. and I'm not saying that to rip on Rodgers because I think he'll eventually get to where he needs to. But there's a huge difference between him and Favre right now -- in Favre's favor. Knowledge is often more important than physical tools when you're an NFL quarterback, and Favre still has a lot left in his feet and arms, too.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The story goes that someone killed Dan Devine's dog in Green Bay when things were going so badly around 1974 before he bolted to Notre Dame. If I recall correctly, there's question as to whether or not it's true.

http://www.classicwisconsin.com/features/dandog.html

12. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Bolding my post, rolling the eyes and multiple uses of capital letters... apparently I struck a nerve, and hell I only agreed with someone else that made the comparison initially. The Packers are building for the future, but they QB situation looks pretty bleak for the future. Do you really think Aaron Rogers will be the answer seeing as he won't be seeing more than a few snaps by the time his time comes around (maybe, in his fourth year)? My point wasn't about rebuilding around Favre, it was about cutting ties with Favre and developing a young QB and rebuilding around him. I think that the Packers unwillingness to go in another direction is similar to the Celtics reluctance to move on from the Big Three.

The Bias and Lewis point by the other poster did a better job of discrediting this comparison, though, and with much less hostility.

Draft saved Draft deleted