1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favre demands trade

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, May 13, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Of course not. He didn't play for the Eagles, eh, Melock?

2. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

It's about damn time he did.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Favre for McNabb!!! Or Kevin Kolb.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Man fuck that shit what are you talking about it must be Farve for Kobe.

5. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Not for McNabb I don't think Nabb will want to go there.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Yeah, good point, Doc. Although Farve is a warier.....

7. goose

goose Member

It's also worth pointing out that the year the Packers won the Super Bowl, they lost Robert Brooks--their top receiver from the year before--to a season-ending injury. Freeman got hurt for a month, as did Chmura. They were so desperate at one point they brought back Anthony Morgan--who they cut in the preseason--as a potential starter.

Levens and Bennett were good, but not great running backs. And while a loaded defense and a kick returner who took one to the house almost every game in the last month of the season helped, I don't think they win that title without Favre.

I'll agree that Favre gets way too much love from the media. But the only two bona fide No. 1 receivers he's had either requested a trade (Walker) or whined if the ball didn't come his way eight times a game (Sharpe). He's done a lot with a little, and maybe his flaw at this point is the delusion that he still can.

I just think you have to take into account the lack of support he's had. I mean, the guy turned Bill Schroeder into an average starter for a year or two.

8. I'm assuming since we're arguing over Favre's legacy and not the present that we're all in agreement it is now time for him to hang it up?

9. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

People always say things like that. To be overrated you always have to be good don't you? It's hard to overrate someone like Elvis Grbac. Someone like Favre, while talented and obviously has had a successful career, gets a few too many blowjobs from the media for my liking, and his is apparently above criticism. Is he one of the greatest ever, I don't know that it's hands down. If I need one QB to win me one game in his prime, I don't think Favre is in my top 10, career numbers be damned.

10. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Of course it was huge. Favre's 250 yards passing and three touchdowns (both passes were more than 50 yards) were huge too. Andre Rison and Antonio Freeman both caught TD passes. Big Gilbert Brown stuffed plenty of rushes. Dorsey Levens had a pretty good game. Four guys intercepted Bledsoe. All of those guys seemed to play a *small* part in GB's win, and while Howard won the SB MVP, I'm quite sure Favre had a slightly larger impact on that team's overall success throughout the entire season.

To say that the Pack won Super Bowl XXXI because of one or two players is insane and stupid. Like I said before, that team was stacked.

And even if Brett Favre is overrated, he will never be the most overrated player in the history of a league that has employed Mike Vick for six years.

11. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I'm of the opinion that Favre right now is better for the Packers in the starting lineup than Aaron Rodgers. Didn't he throw for close to 4,000 yards last year? I give him this year and next year and that's it.

Do I think he should hang 'em up? Not when he's the best option at QB.

If I need a QB to win one game, Favre isn't it, but I would certainly think he'd be in my top 10, if only because of his big-play ability, even though it happens less and less as he ages.

Favre gets way too many BJs from the media, but he seems like a good guy and that's how the media deals with good guys. People want to take that out on Favre, though. Take it out on the media.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Little-known stat: Last year Favre got a pass off on about 93% of his drop backs, while Aaron Rodgers either scrambled or was sacked on about 25% of his drop-backs, meaning Favre gets the called play off about 18% more of the time. That's a HUGE difference. His knowledge of how the offense is supposed to run is so vastly under-rated.

Sure, he's not going not win an MVP award again, but he's still better than most and deserves better than what the Packers did this off-season.

Draft saved Draft deleted