1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favre asks Packers to release him

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Playing devils advocate here. If you want to work, shouldn't you be free to work where you want to if the company you used to work for won't let you come back?

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

The Packers aren't preventing him from coming back. They're just saying he won't be starting.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

It's not a convenient interpretation. To me, an indictment on Rodgers would be the Packers bringing in an experienced quarterback, one who might be able to handle to load ASAP in case Rodgers faltered, got hurt, etc. Drafting a rookie to groom doesn't speak to having to replace your current quarterback this season or even next.

If they wanted to scare Rodgers, they would have signed a Daunte Culpepper, Rex Grossman, Josh McCown, Cleo Lemon or Quinn Gray. Because then, his job would have been on the line right now.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sure, as long as there is no contract. In Favre's case, there is a contract.

In the baseball reserve clause era, Favre would have had a better case, if he didn't have a contract, but the team claimed they could reserve him.

5. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I disagree. First of all, it was reported that Culpepper turned down an offer from the Packers. And the conventional wisdom after Favre's retirement was to bring in a veteran backup for Rodgers for emergency purposes. When they drafted Brohm in the second round, that looked like a pick that put way more pressure on Rodgers. A young, pro-ready, rookie QB waiting in the wings?

If they had taken a guy like that in the fourth or fifth round, I'd agree with you. Not the second, though. I think that draft pick raised a few eyebrows, if not red flags, about Rodgers' development. And now that Favre wants to play again, maybe it could make Rodgers expendable.

Just a theory.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I disagree. First of all, if the Packers really wanted someone with experience to back up Rodgers and possibly push him for the job, fearing that he wasn't ready, they would have ponied up for Culpepper or someone like that. A quarterback like that would have been nice at the right price, but if not, so be it. They think he can do the job.

Re: the young, pro-ready, rookie QB waiting in the wings, I see this like the Brees-Rivers situation the Chargers put themselves into not too long ago. Brees did the job well enough at the time, but they felt Rivers would be a better longterm answer at quarterback. Rivers served as backup for two complete seasons, until Brees got the huge payday from the Saints.

Coincidentally, I believe Rodgers has two years remaining on his contract. He's going to have a chance to prove he was worth the Packers' first-round investment. If he fails, they can let him walk away knowing Brohm can replace him. Why put all your eggs in one basket when trying to replace a legend like Favre? To me, what the Packers have done at quarterback gives them the best longterm chance to contend, like the Chargers did before them with Brees and Rivers. Brohm will get his chance someday, but they didn't draft him to compete for Rodgers' job this season.

Just a theory.

Draft saved Draft deleted