1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favourite movie characters

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Feb 20, 2011.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Lots of love for Han Solo, but none for Darth Vader? He's a movie icon. Easily my favorite character in movie history.

Indiana is a good one, too.

To add a few others:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    William Wallace
    Ripley
    Morpheus
    Daniel LaRusso

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Except that Rocky was supposed to be a 30something past-his-prime fighter who lost his locker to an up-and-comer in the FIRST movie.

3. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Hollywood!

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Only boxer to get (at least briefly) smarter the more times he got hit.

5. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I'm way too lazy to calculate this myself, but if anybody cares to figure out how old the Rock was in his final movie, based on the 30-something estimate of the initial Rocky movie, I will surely welcome that information.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Andy Dufresne was the first one that leapt to mind.

After that, in no particular order:
    Rooster Cogburn.
    Jeff Lebowski.
    Rick Vaughn.
    Chuck Noland.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've actually tried to figure out the timeline before, so here goes. Believe it or not, the movies more or less flow in real time with the exception of Part V. It also more or less syncs up with Stallone's actual age (he was born in 1946).

Balboa-Creed I takes place on Jan. 1, 1976. In Rocky II, they say it's 10 months later so that's October of '76.
    In Rocky III, he says he's had 10 title defenses and the two fights against Clubber Lang make 12. So let's say, conservatively, he fought twice a year in that span. That takes us up to late 1982.
    Rocky IV starts right after III (Rocky is still bruised from his sparring session with Apollo). Give Rocky a few weeks to heal from the Lang fight and give Apollo a couple months to train for the Drago fight, takes us up to spring 1983 for Creed-Drago and puts Balboa-Drago on Christmas Day 1983.

So even if he was, say, 33 when he first fought Creed in 1976 that would make him about 40 when he fought Drago. I think it's either assumed or stated he was in his mid-to-late 50s during "Rocky Balboa." It might be a little out of whack with the rest of the timeline, but they can always retcon it by saying the events of that movie took place a few years ago.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good point on Vader, though I'm not sure if the prequels make him better or worse. I was more of a Han Solo and Indiana Jones fan as a kid, though.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Computer/droid division:

1. H.A.L.
    2. WALL-E and Eve (it's a tie)
    3. R2-D2

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I think commodus was equally as good. He was perfectly diabolical and conniving. Phoenix made the perfect villain to Crowe's heroics. One of the reasons Gladiator was as good as it was, had that great balance.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Nice Metropolitan reference...

12. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Irwin R. Fletcher--"Fletch"

William Miller--"Almost Famous"

Crash Davis

Michael Corleone

Jason Bourne

Trip--"Glory"

Sheriff Woody--"Toy Story"