1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favourite movie characters

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Actors who auditioned to play Han Solo

Nick Nolte
    Al Pacino (turned down the part)
    Burt Reynolds
    Kurt Russell
    Perry King
    Sylvester Stallone
    Christopher Walken
    James Woods
    James Caan

http://www.notstarring.com/movies/star-wars

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The Dude
    Alec Baldwin in "Glengarry Glen Ross"
    Aaron Altman (Albert Brooks' character in "Broadcast News")
    Nigel Tufnel

3. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

My brain is trying to picture Christopher Walken as Han Solo and Lando in some of the more classic scenes....I'm thinking it wouldn't have gone well.

4. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I agree. In reference to your previous point about killing off Han Solo, if Nolte has the role, I doubt that we would have seen Han Solo merrily dancing with Ewoks in "Return of the Jedi."

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

True. Not that Nolte hasn't done some good work in his own right, but he ain't on Ford's level.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Louis Renault, prefect of police in Casablanca

Not to mention Sam the piano man, Sasha the crazy Russian, Yvonne, Signor Ugarte, the luscious Ilsa Lund and, of course, Rick Blaine himself.

7. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Tuco from "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly"
    Nick Smith from "Metropolitan"
    Walter from "The Big Lebowski"
    Danny from "Withnail and I"
    and of course, Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell from "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls"

8. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

"They make a bigger sound when they hit the ground."
    I watched this (for the millionth time) as I was hitting the sack last night. As "Ugly", Tuco is underappreciated. Everybody loves Clint's toughness, but Tuco was the epitome of tough.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Rocky Balboa is a phenomenal character, and the sequels (outlandish as they may be) actually make him a BETTER character. Most sports movies, we see guys for a brief portion of their careers. A season or two at most. Rocky is one of the few (might be the only one) who we get to watch evolve over the course of his entire career. We see him go from an illiterate street tough to someone who used his one opportunity to make a better life for himself. In a series where dealing with loss is the overarcing theme, it's fascinating to see him gain that over the course of six movies.

Speaking of sports movies, Lou Brown from "Major League" is awesome. Just crusty and jaded as hell and the perfect actor for the part.

10. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

The Dude
    Jules Winfield
    Forrest Gump
    Dr. Gonzo

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

"I'm so mean I make medicine sick."

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I find this a lot harder to do with movies than with TV characters, who we really get to "know". But even though I have nothing constructive to add, I have to say that Double Jeopardy is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. There is nothing redeemable about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted