1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favourite movie characters

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

At risk of an Ilmago comparison (is this reference overtaking "I hope this isn't a DB"?) . . .

Was watching Tombstone last night and was reminded of how great a character Kilmer's Doc Holiday is. Had it all, the quirkiness, the humour, great line after great line, unwavering loyalty and more than his share of heroism, all coming from a guy who should be a little more unsavoury . . . Just one of the all-time great characters. And I have no idea if this is an accurate portrayal of Holiday, but it was terrifically memorable.

Who are your favourite characters? and it doesn't necessarily have to mean best all-time acting job, something Kilmer certainly will never be accused of.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Han Solo. He had the swagger, humor, the redemption story an the heroism. Such a great character that it brought him back from the dead. (Supposedly, the original plan was for him to die at the end of Empire Strikes Back, but he was too popular to kill off.)

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Verbal Kint in "The Usual Suspects."
    U.S. Assistant AG Wells (Wilford Brimley) at the end of "Absence of Malice."
    Sully Sullivan (Paul Newman) in "Nobody's Fool."
    Jed Leland (Joseph Cotton) in "Citizen Kane."
    Pretty much all of Marilyn Chambers' early work.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hannibal Lecter in "Silence of the Lambs"
    Rocky Balboa in "Rocky"
    Vincent LaGuardia Gambini in "My Cousin Vinny"
    And many more that I can't think of right now.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jeff Spicoli

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Indiana Jones
    Sam Quint
    Deputy Marshal Samuel Gerard
    Roller Girl

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

First one who came to my mind, too. Similarly, I'd add Indiana Jones.

I liked Ashley Judd's character in Double Jeopardy. She's convicted of murdering her husband and does her time in prison. She uses her smarts to track down her faking-death husband in order to find their son.

I'll think of many, many more soon.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Reg Dunlop and Dirty Harry Callaghan.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

End of thread.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Indiana Jones

11. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

This has quickly developed almost into a Paul Newman thread. Huh.

Great call, HejiraHarry, on the Brimley character, especially because he appears in all of one scene in the whole movie, granted, the money scene.

Hannibal Lector is a no-brainer
    Frank Galvin
    Jack Cates

You may be aware, outofplace, that Nick Nolte was up for the Han Solo part. See: hilarious Patton Oswalt bit

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I have heard that story and I can see how he would have fit the role, but I doubt he could have done with it what Ford did.

Draft saved Draft deleted