1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Watching-My-Team-In-Super-Bowl Moment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Granny, Jun 23, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My favorite non-Steeler moment is Eli to Tyree in the last Super Bowl.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Joe Montana to John Taylor in Niners-Bengals II

Steve Young to everyone in Niners-Chargers

Joe Montana to everyone in Niners-Broncos

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I felt the same way watching that play, Oz. Just like you, I was too young to appreciate what was happening in the '70s, XL is the only Super Bowl victory for the Steelers that I was truly able to enjoy.

I remember feeling crushed when Roethlisberger threw that interception in the third quarter. After a disgrace of a first half, the Steelers were dominating the game at that point. If he puts a little loft on that ball, it's a touchdown that gives Pittsburgh a very comfortable lead. Instead it was a big interception return that set up Seattle's only touchdown in the game. I was sure the Steelers were going to lose.

After that, even the Randall-El's touchdown pass to Ward wasn't enough. I didn't feel safe until that last first down sealed the victory.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was a little young to remember Ron Jaworski-to-Rod Martin in Super Bowl XV, so I'll have to go with Donovan McNabb's flawless execution of the six-minute drill in SB XXXIX. Down 24-14 ... McNabb completes 5-yard pass after 5-yard pass ... then throws up ... then throws another 10-yard out 8 yards into the turf ... then gets sacked ... then an 11-yarder for a first down ... followed by a 30-yard hail mary.
    Precision. Personified.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I like the Tyree one, but even better was seeing Plaxico break free at the goal line as Eli's pass floated his way.

There was enough time with the ball in the air where you went through a whole range of "He's open! Jesus, what if he drops this...He caught it!"

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Oddly enough, it's the Steelers recovering an onside kick to start the second half of Super Bowl XXX.

The Steelers were making their first SB appearance in my lifetime. They were playing the big, bad Cowboys and no one gave them a chance in hell. That play -- and when Bam Morris scored in the fourth quarter to make it 20-17 -- made me a believer; I thought they were going to pull it off.

Yeah, they finally won one 10 years later, but it felt different.

They were playing the Seahawks, an AFC West team only a few years earlier. The game was boring as shit. If you hadn't heard, Jerome Bettis was from Detroit. And after the amazing divisional playoff against Indy, the next two games seemed almost anticlimactic.

Then again, maybe I'm just fucked up. :D

8. outofplace

Could it be both? :)

The result of Super Bowl XL was much more satisfying, but no doubt the playoff game against the Colts was a hell of a lot more fun to watch.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Since my team was never in the Super Bowl, I am going to put down a moment I enjoyed watching while rooting for the underdog.

Don Beebe running down the Cowboy (can't remember his name) and forcing the fumble out of the end zone. Or something like that. I haven't seen the clip in a while and I was like 9 when it happened.

10. outofplace

Leon Lett. Great moment. The Bills were getting crushed and Beebe still went flying down the field to chase Lett down.

11. This is easy. Elway helicopters through the air for the first down against Green Bay.

Elway to Rod Smith for a long touchdown against ATL the following year.

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

The pregame shows.
    [/Bills fan]

Serious answer: Thurman's 31-yard touchdown run in XXV. Man, we just knew that was the game-winner ...
    As for the 13-6 halftime score of XXVIII, didn't matter. There was a sense of impending doom -- wondering how our guys were going to screw this one up -- and they lived down to our expectations.

Draft saved Draft deleted