1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Watching-My-Team-In-Super-Bowl Moment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Granny, Jun 23, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm just glad one of the Indiana teams I root for won a title in my lifetime.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I wasn't and am not a Giants fan, but watching Norwood's kick sail ever so slightly wide right with a handful of buddies all crammed into my best friend's bedroom (hey-o!) ranks way up there on my list of favorite sporting memories. I've told this story before, but one of our friends hated sports...figured that these lunkheads took scholarships away from more deserving kids, like him. But as Norwood lined up for the kick, he yelled "THIS IS AWESOME!!"

Alas, I got in trouble when I got home for missing curfew (it was 11:06 I was supposed to be home at 11...my dad was batshit crazy about me whenever I drove) and then, the next day, one of my other "friends" told me he spent the Super Bowl talking to the dumbass girl I was completely fucking in love with and that she told him she really liked him. He told me he was going to take her to the prom. He didn't--she flaked out on him in about three days--but still, it was all downhill for me after that kick sailed wide right.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

4. And you know eight seconds elapsed in the time it took to get that kick off

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That's BYH's standard "hang time."

6. And he always follows it by shouting, "It's good!!"

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

And then my wife mutters "No it's not."

I mean...FUCK YOU ASSHOLES!

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Willie Parker's touchdown run through Seattle's defense, untouched. Just a beautiful play, run perfectly.

Exactly unlike Neil O'Donnell's gift to Larry Brown. But I digress ...

... the moment Parker scored that touchdown, I finally talked myself into believing that the Steelers just might win. For somebody who was still only 4 years old when the Steelers capped their dynasty, that game meant a lot. I remember going to McDonald's to collect the commemorative Super Bowl glasses and all of the hoopla that came with growing up with those teams, but when you're that young, it doesn't compute the same as when you're 30, it doesn't mean as much. This one meant a whole heckuva lot.

So to jump out of my seat the moment Parker broke through that hole and to wave that Terrible Towel as he strolled into the end zone, a lot of doom and gloom about whether the Steelers would win one in my adult lifetime quickly vanished. For the first time since O'Donnell, I really, really thought they had a chance. That was a great feeling to have, watching that game, as poorly played as it was.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Favre to Chmura ... broken up by John Mobley.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Lots to choose from...

Lambert throwing Cliff Harris to the ground.

Harris busting one right through the Dallas linbackers after Hollywood decided to tick him off.

Bradshaw deep to Stallworth or Swann. There's about 7-8 of those.

El to Ward and Marcus Trufant just getting his jock handed to him.

The Dallas sideline after their "superstar" special teams coach Joe Avezzano and Barry Switzer missed seeing to the most obvious onsides kick in Super Bowl history. That was a great, great Dallas team if they won a Super Bowl with Switzer at the top spot.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Same here, moreso on the long TD pass to Ricky Sanders. You have that one quoted by Michaels, but I trust you were listening to Sonny, Sam and Frank during the game like every other Redskins fan on the planet that wonderful night.

For some reason, when I think of the Skins-Broncos Super Bowl, I think of Clint Didier's TD.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Pretty much the whole first half of this one...

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted