1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Type of Whiskey

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Aug 30, 2012.

?

What's your favorite type of whiskey?

1. Bourbon

22 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Canadian

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. Irish

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. Rye

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Scotch

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Tennessee Whiskey

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Shit. I've never even heard of Maryland Rye Whiskey, and now I have to figure a way try it.

2. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

I was having fun with Crown Royal Black for a while, but now it does absolutely nothing for me. I'm typically a happy drunk, and all Crown Royal does is intensify my frustrations. It's a scary feeling when the things that used to get you drunk have no effect. I'm not even close to Hemingway copycats yet, so it's not remotely endearing for me.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Had Macallan 18-year the other night as a treat when we were out for our anniversary dinner. It was quite remarkable. On the bourbon side, I had a glass of Woodford Double Oaked a few weeks ago at a bar. I've got to save some pennies and get a bottle of each.

I actually made a whiskey menu for my home bar - I have about 25-30 bottles now. It's a good conversation starter, if nothing else, when people are over, even if they end up drinking beer instead.

My every-day brands (right now):

Scotch: JW Black.
    Bourbon: Buffalo Trace.
    Rye: Journeyman.

Special treats:

Scotch: Macallan (12-year.)
    Bourbon: Angel's Envy.
    Rye: Whistle Pig (usually in a Manhattan.)

I have both Jameson and Tullmore Dew and they seem quite similar to me - very easy drinking. I think just for the fun of it I'm going to have a glass of Booker's for a few nights in a row, then pour a Jameson's and see how easy it goes down.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Balvenie 15-year-old.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Buffalo Trace reminds me of Maker's Mark - more of a grain bill than a rye bill.
    It's very grassy.

I'm a rye-bill guy - Turkey, Knob, Bulleit are all in my regular price range. Knob being for more special occassions.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I go in phases. I had a bottle of Bulleit, finished it off, and then switched over to Buffalo Trace for now.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

All of 'em. It's easily my favorite hard liquor.

McCallan is eminently drinkable, though pricey. I am a fan of Makers Mark, Woodford Reserve and, of course, Jameson's. Jack Daniels is a staple, particularly if I'm making a mixed drink.

I mostly drink Johnnie Walker Black. I like it quite a bit more than red label, and I haven't yet been fortunate enough to drink Blue Label. I vaguely remember Green Label being awesome, but I got pretty well lit the one time I had it.

My best man bought me a bottle of Johnnie Walker 21, which is amazing. If you like Scotch and you get a chance to drink it, do it. It's a blended Scotch, but it is fantastic.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think Makers tastes like ass. I keep a bottle in the house for friends, but give me Bulliet or Knob Creek or Buffalo Trace or Woodford or even a good Evan Wiiliams over Makers.

If I was wealthy enough for it not to matter, I'd drink Blanton's as my everyday bourbon. Van Winkle as my special bourbon. (Although I will say, I have a bottle of 20, of 15, and of 12, and the difference is negligible.) I'll go Black Maple Hill as my in between.

As for scotch, Balvenie is great. I attended a fancy wedding a few years ago with an open bar and they had Balvenie 15 and I think I drank about eight of them. I keep the 12 in my house and give it as housewarming gifts. Delicious.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Had a 20-year Macallan at a bar in the Bellagio, $1 for every year. Went down easy with an Anchor Steam back.

10. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'm still low brow. Jim Beam and Jim Beam Red Stagg. For the holidays, I switch to Southern Comfort so I can mix it with the SoCo Vanilla Spice Egg Nog. Stuff almost makes me wish I was a drunk.

11. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

i just finished off a booker's single barrel I got for christmas. But I'm going back to Angel's Envy to keep around the house.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Someone gave me a bottle of Widow Jane bourbon for my birthday. I really am really enjoying it.

Draft saved Draft deleted