1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Type of Whiskey

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Aug 30, 2012.

?

What's your favorite type of whiskey?

1. Bourbon

22 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Canadian

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. Irish

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. Rye

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Scotch

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Tennessee Whiskey

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Noooooo. Don't mix Jameson or Maker's with AN-Y-THING.

This thread is making me really sad liquor stores are closed on Sunday.

2. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Makers Mark and Lemonota Sanpellegrino mix well. I speak from extremely recent experience.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Shoeless Joe's point was that Maker's Mark is too good to mix. And he's right; if you're mixing with bourbon, use Four Roses or Old Granddad or something of that ilk.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

my first run-in with crown xr, which is $185 a bottle in my state, was at a buddy's house. he pulled out the bottle, the sprite and the ice. after my first, i was like, "hey, go real, real easy on the sprite, eh?"

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Precisely.
    If you are mixing, get a $12 bottle of something off one of the lower shelves.
    I don't drink vodka, but saw/heard a good point on TV the other day. Guy said by definition vodka is supposed to be tasteless and odorless so the only difference between a $15 bottle of vodka and a $60 bottle of vodka is a $45 fancy bottle.

6. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Alton Brown did a great show on cocktails, once. The difference between cheap vodka and expensive is how many times it's filtered. That's pretty much it.

He got a bottle of Smirnoff, ran it through a Britta four times, and, voila, really expensive vodka.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I've done that, and it works wonderfully. It ruins the Britta filter after a few times through, but it works.

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

My husband and I were staying at a boutique hotel with a pocket bar in the lobby corner when we decided to do a vodka taste test. No, they're not identical, though the only completely unacceptable choice was Chopin, which was so watery I was wondering if it was legit.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

damn, being a vodka drinker, that's terribly interesting. now i know what i want for christmas (a britta).

a huge difference in taste is if they use grains or charcoal in the filtering process. i can't do the charcoal. it's rather disgusting.

10. psychman56

psychman56 Guest

Since I am really minding my own calories, I always drink the bourbon. Did you know that whiskey can help prevent cancer? This is because whiskey contains higher levels of antioxidants that supposedly help kill cancer cells! Interesting isn't it?

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't dislike Maker's, but I greatly prefer Wild Turkey. The Turkey has to be the 101. I don't like the 80. It's too sweet with an overpowering vanilla note. The added heat from the alcohol cuts the sweetness and allows a more orange-peel/citrus quality to break through.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

If you are in the Denver area, I highly recommend the products from the micro-distillery known as the Leopold Brothers. They are making a Maryland Rye Whiskey that has gotten rave reviews.

Draft saved Draft deleted