1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Type of Whiskey

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Aug 30, 2012.

?

What's your favorite type of whiskey?

1. Bourbon

22 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Canadian

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. Irish

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. Rye

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Scotch

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Tennessee Whiskey

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Anyone had Four Roses single barrel or small batch? The single barrel had a nice kick to it, more like Knob Creek than Four Roses. But the small batch disappointed me and seemed almost like a worse version of the standard yellow-label Four Roses at double the price.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My crew got stuck in Lexington while on a cross-country flight last summer and we hit a bar in town called the Horse and Barrel. The bartender asked us what we liked and normally drank. After we told her, she just continued to set us up with stuff up and down the price list and really explained to us what we were drinking and why.

At one point, she gave me Four Roses and the single barrel. I didn't like either damn one of them.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of Pappy Van Winkle bourbon. Maker's Mark is my back up.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Pappy is good, but really hard to get and not quite good enough for me to call eight places around town to find it.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Philistine that I am, loved Jack Daniels Honey.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

I'm drinking Johnny Walker Gold right now. first time for me. Not bad at all. I usually stick with black, occasionally get green.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Not a big whiskey or rye drinker, but when I do, it's usually this stuff. Quite tasty.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I tried it and didn't like it. I also didn't like that Jim Beam Red Stag. Both were waaaay too sweet for me.

9. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I lived above an Irish bar for three years (Harp and Hound in Mystic, Conn. ... make sure you go there if you're in the area). I drink highballs (that's a whiskey-ginger to you youngins) and Leo, who owned this bar, suggested I try Tullamore Dew. It was perfect. Very smooth. Always the whiskey of choice for me now.

10. maberger

maberger Member

Hah! mcnulty reminds me of this story.

so 20-something years ago, i walk into the dublin house on manhattan's west side with my then-buddy frank shattuck. we'd been to watch a gym-mate of ours in his Golden Gloves debut. back then, for some reason, i didn't like guinness, so when the bartender asks me what'll i have i answer, "a black and tan." he glares at me with all the malice he can muster and utters, "that's a catholic drink," and walks up the bar. i yell at his disappearing back, "but i'm a jew!"

to no avail. so i had a guinness.

as to the subject, when i drank whiskey i drank maker's and soda. but too many of them.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tour guide said everyone either loves JD Honey or loathes it... I am in the latter category

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted