1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Type of Whiskey

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Aug 30, 2012.

?

What's your favorite type of whiskey?

1. Bourbon

22 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Canadian

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. Irish

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. Rye

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Scotch

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Tennessee Whiskey

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Had an Irish "single pot" whiskey called Redbreast last week. It was outstanding, maybe the best aroma of any whiskey I've ever had.
    But I'm ordinarily a Scotch guy. J&B and soda in bars. Glenlivet rocks at home.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I live pretty close to the heart of the Bourbon Trail. I'm driving distance from Heaven Hill, and one of the main Jim Beam distilleries is also in Bardstown. And I used to live right across the street from Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort. I loved the smell when they were making the stuff.

My vote went to bourbon.

3. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I feel like a rube, but it doesn't get better for me than Gentleman Jack

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

As a Squire, I am extremely disappointed "Tennessee" whiskey is not an option...
    Black Jack, three fingers over a rocks glass packed with ice. Repeat. Call it a night.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When I drink, which is rare, Jameson's is usually involved.

6. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Scotch for me. Laphroaig favored, but McAllen 18 is preferred. Auchentoshan is interesting and Usher's is the best bargai whiskey in the world.

Bourbon's great, too. Tennessee? Not so much.

Irish whiskey is fine, but since it can be turned into a political argument, I say a pox on all of it!

7. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Redbreast and Jameson's have the same ultimate corporate owner and, perhaps more importantly, are produced at the same distillery.

For St. Patrick's Day this year, the local BLT steakhouse did a multi-course dinner with several agings of Jameson's and one course with Redbreast. Great fun.

8. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

I recently tried Bulleit and liked it very much. Both their bourbon and their rye.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Thinks this is the dumbest question in the history of the board.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Growing up, my dad had a small bar/liquor cabinet in the house. He always had a jug of Tullamore Dew:

[​IMG]

God damn I loved the smell of it.

I had forgotten what it even was, but I recently tracked down a jug of it. It tastes as good as it smells.

A couple of months ago, my younger brother as over. First thing he did was open the bottle of Tullamore Dew and take a whiff.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. YankeeFan

Beware of the "Black Gunk":

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/30/us/kentuckians-fed-up-with-a-fungus-sue-whiskey-makers.html?ref=dining

12. YankeeFan

Amended, and apologies.

Draft saved Draft deleted