1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Type of Whiskey

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Aug 30, 2012.

?

What's your favorite type of whiskey?

1. Bourbon

22 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Canadian

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. Irish

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. Rye

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Scotch

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Tennessee Whiskey

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I'm a tequila and gin drinker but recently got a gift of a bottle of Royal Crown XO and Glenfiddich 12. Are these good starter whiskeys to learn on?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The only of the Crown Royal premiums I've tried was Black, but that was in a Manhattan at a steak house. It tasted good in there - I was pleasantly surprised, considering how tasteless regular CR is. I would recommend that, next, you go with a bourbon - maybe Buffalo Trace? If you want a mild "starter" whiskey, I'd recommend Jameson over Crown Royal. Again, that's regular Crown Royal, though. The premium one might be different.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

@dailydot 5m Partiers strap a GoPro to a Fireball bottle for a very modern wedding video: http://trib.al/v2qsWrf

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't have much of a bar because we don't have a lot of company and I usually stick to bourbon. I usually go on a little tequila run when our lime trees have fruit.

I think the Malibu and the bad tequila are leftover from when my wife had some girlfriends over.

Jameson left over from when my father died.

Wild Turkey and Bulleit are gone now.

I'm not a collector, just a drinker.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Important! Sweden is pulling Fireball from its shelves because it contains the same kind of shit they use to de-ice planes. So, if you like cinnamon whisky, but also find yourself stranded somewhere in cold weather trying to make a connecting flight, you can use some of it to get your plane ready to fly.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/alko_recalls_fireball_liqueur_over_propylene_glycol_concerns/7553390

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Smoked ice for your bourbon? Anyone ever hear of this, or try it?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/going-out-guide/wp/2014/10/28/smoke-gets-in-your-ice-at-willies-brew-que/

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Thanksgiving Night a couple of years ago, one of my wife's relatives broke out a big bottle of Crown Royal Maple.
    I had heard about it, but not tried it. HOLY SHEEP SHIT, THAT WENT DOWN REALLY REALLY SMOOTH.

Not big on the XR.....the Original is good, but the Maple.......EUREKA........REALLY GOOD, BUT WILL DO SOME DAMAGE.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Went to Total Wine today for my post summer wine buy. They were doing a tasting of Hancock small batch bourbon. As stated, I'm not a whiskey drinker but this was ok. Very easy, very mild, little burn. They rate Angel's Envy as the top bourbon.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Tried some for the first time on vacation last week. Bhutan's Coronation No. 5. Not too bad, honestly.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You should probably stick to buying wine at that store, then.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Thought I'd resurrect this thread after visiting Kentucky last week. We went to a tasting at Heaven Hill. Also popped in at a bourbon bar in downtown Bardstown.

So I was able to try (or try again):

• Henry McKenna 10-Year
    • Parker's Heritage Cognac-Finished
    • William Heavenhill Bottled in Bond (bought a bottle to take home)
    • Elijah Craig 23-Year
    • Woodford Reserve (of course)
    • Van Winkle 12-Year
    • Fighting Cock Bourbon
    • Whatever shit they put in a mint julep

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

60 Minutes completed Bob Simon's final report. Touching.

Draft saved Draft deleted