1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite TV Dads

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Huh. What a coincidence. You’d think they were the same person ....

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It was Mike Brady. He didn't go to his oldest son's high school graduation. You can scratch him off the list.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Ok memory is bad.

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

When sitcoms stereotype fathers, they seem to suggest that men are somehow inherently ill-suited for parenting. That sells actual fathers short and, in heterosexual, two-parent contexts, it reinforces the idea that mothers should take on the lion’s share of parenting responsibilities.

Why are sitcom dads still so inept?

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

John Walton Sr.

Or am I the only person who watched “The Waltons”?

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

My mother used to make us watch the Waltons on reruns. I hated it. My sisters loved it. My mother often said we needed to be more like the waltons. One day there was an episode (and there was likely many) where old man Walton got some flack for not going to church. However, he didn’t give a shit about the badgering and still didn’t go. So that Sunday, I proudly stated I intend to be like the Waltons, and refuse to go to church. I was slapped silly, but I never had to watch the Waltons again.

qtlaw and Baron Scicluna like this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It was Sherwood Schwartz's fault. Robert Reed hated that episode so much he refused to appear in it.

He wrote a long note to Schwartz about character development and audience expectations (he was always writing notes criticizing the plots, etc.). In this particular note he said it would be absurd, for example, for Batman to appear in the operating room in a MASH episode. The audience would never buy it. And he concluded the note by saying, "Without belaboring the inequities of the script, which are varied and numerous, the major point to all this is: Once an actor has geared himself to play a certain style with its prescribed level of belief, he cannot react to or accept within the same confines of the piece, a different style.
    "When the kid's hair turns red, it is Batman in the operating room.
    "I can't play it."

The Hair-Brained Scheme

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I blame [​IMG]

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Walter White

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Obviously not the greatest or favorite, but he had his moments:

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's hard to appreciate the scene without watching the 6-part episode, which was phenomenal.

But this scene is ... what it's all about.

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Tim Taylor, Home Improvement
    Keith Mars, Veronica Mars
    Charles Ingalls, Little House on the Prairie
    Martin Crane, Frasier
    Danny, Joey and Jesse, Full House
    HM: Carl Winslow, Family Matters

Draft saved Draft deleted