1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Trader Joe's items

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jun 12, 2018.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am not sure if this thread has been done. But here goes. We mostly grab bags of arugula (although we try to stay away from most of their other produce -- not fresh and overpriced) and milk and half and half, but those are boring.We don't do a lot of the prepackaged foods. But we get a lot of our staples there.I'll get it started and keep it to 10:

1) Coffee Bean Blast Ice Cream. ... we don't do it often, but it is the best coffee ice cream I have ever had.
    2) Premium 100% Greek Kalamata Extra Virgin Olive Oil. . ... We use a lot of olive oil and have tried all of their oils. Most of them are the same crap being passed off as virgin @ other supermarkets. Skunky, past their shelf life and who knows where it was actually sourced. The Kalamata oil is consistently fresh, in my experience, and in terms of bang for the buck rivals pricier oils from elsewhere. The California Estate Olive Oil is not horrible.
    3) European Style Organic Plain Yogurt -- pretty close to the stuff you actually get in France (where yogurt has a creamier, smoother consistency).
    4) Aceto Balsamico di Modena I.G.P. We use a lot of balsamic vinegar and this stuff is very good. Aged 10 years. There is a more basic Balsamic (labeled PGI) that isn't as good, but is a lot cheaper. Given that we drink the stuff like it is water, we use that stuff a lot when we aren't being particular. It isn't nearly as good.
    5) 100% Pure Vermont Maple Syrup. They have a lot of varieties of maple syrup. This is our go to. Pricey, but not compared to similar quality at other places.
    6) Roasted Plantain Chips. Dangerous. They have a sweet plantain chip, too, that is pretty good. These are salty.
    7) Their specialty cheese, in general, but in terms of really good value: They have an imported comte, camembert and a parmigiano reggiano that are imported, authentic and priced as good as you are going to find in the U.S.
    8) Frozen roasted corn. It's fire roasted. I throw this into so many recipes.
    9) Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo. Yeah, I was dubious. Shampoo from Trader Joe's. But the stuff really does the tingly scalp thing they advertise on the bottle. It's great for someone like me, who has dry hair (what hair I have left, at least).
    10) Flowers. ... they aren't as fresh or as good as the ones at the nice flower shop. But they are really inexpensive.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Thank goodness there's not a chance in hell I ever get invited to your place for dinner. :D

TBS, my favorite TJ items:

-- ginger snaps
    -- pretzel rolls
    -- pounder bars of chocolate with almonds
    -- challah bread (when it's soft and chewy)
    -- peanut butter cups, 36 count
    -- whatever pastries look good

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Around the holidays, the peppermint JoJo cookies. We also buy a ton of yogurt there.

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Bananas and I got brown eggs there for like a $1.29 so that was great.

And those olive oil kettle potato chips are dope.

5. Jake_Taylor

Also this

59de945f90703.image.jpg

X-Hack likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I believe on the east coast at least, their yogurts are Stonyfield Farms with a private label on it.

7. Jake_Taylor

The TJ whole milk vanilla seems to have a thicker consistency than what I've gotten at the regular super market, but I'm not sure if I've tried the Stonyfield equivalent.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The things that look like Cheetos but are not (as) bad for you.
    Oh, and the greeting cards. Most have simple, serene covers and are blank on the inside. I can write better than they can. And they cost $1.

Vombatus likes this.
  9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Don't you mean favorite Aldi items?

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

11. ICanRowCanoe?

ICanRowCanoe? Member

I am with you on the plantain chips. I have them with guac and it's terrific.

They have chocolate covered almonds with sea salt and turbinado sugar that is one of my all-time favorite snacks. Such an awesome blend of sweet and salty.

Only other thing I really love there is the sliced sirloin. It works for Whole30 and is really nice to have on hand for quick meals.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The cheese selection is outstanding. From the specialty stuff, to the flavored Pub Cheese. And the sliced smoked Gouda is a favorite.

I love getting inexpensive whole pineapples.

Totally agree on the frozen roasted corn. And a bit fan of their unsalted crunchy peanut butter.

I know I’m forgetting a few things. A guilty pleasure is the Orange Chicken.

Draft saved Draft deleted