1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Springsteen Song

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Apr 28, 2008.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

How much catch-up am I playing with you, my friends?

Zevon's live, out weeks/months.

BTW others: Jeannie Needs a Shooter, Because the Night, concerted. Played WZ's Mohammad's Radio as rare live cover. Last time I saw Bob (2002) didn't recognize VoJ 'til final garbled verse.

YD&OHS, etc

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

1. "Thunder Road"
    2. "Be True"
    3. "Atlantic City"
    4. "Tunnel of Love"
    5. "Spirit in the Night" (or "She's The One", or "Light of Day", or about 30 others)

By the way, "Chimes of Freedom" was released commercially. I have it on a CD single of "Tougher The The Rest" that had live versions of "Chimes of Freedom," "Be True," and the acoustic version of "Born to Run."

Surprising to see how many people list "Meeting Across the River" as their favorite. Tony Kornheiser listed it as his favorite on his radio show last week. Great song.

3. lono

lono Active Member

Top five?

1. Darkness On The Edge Of Town
    2. Backstreets
    3. Prove It All Night
    4. No Surrender
    5. Thunder Road

I've seen him do some great covers, too: "Trapped," "This Land Is Your Land" and, of course, "Detroit Medley."

But the two covers that really stood out, both on "The River" tour, were "Rave On," by Buddy Holly, which had Gary Tallent smiling like he was 10 years old, and the old Creedence song, "Who'll Stop The Rain," with Little Steven on the 12-string acoustic guitar.

4. Speaking of covers...

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've got boots of Springsteen opening 70s shows with killer covers of "High School Confidential" and "Good Rockin' Tonight". That last one is from the famous New York show during the newspaper strike: "I hear there's a newspaper strike in this town. Well have ya heard the news...."

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

and perhaps the wildest version of this cover... 14 minutes long, spread across two videos, the audience in Argentina (Amnesty Tour '88) drives Bruce & the band to new heights:
    part 1:

part 2:

then there's Springsteen giving U2 some help with a cover

7. friend of the friendless

Messrs Bastard, Huggy,

Jackson Browne ... his heart is perfect.

YD&OHS, etc

8. friend of the friendless

Sirs, Madames,

BTW Certifiably the goofiest/worst Dylan cover was Himself doing the polka version of LaRS on the first Bootleg Series.

YD&OHS, etc

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

isn't it "his HAIR is perfect?"

'cause i've met him. and it is. bastid.

10. friend of the friendless

Mr Shockey,

On the late Zevon's live album it was a bit of poetic license (a dig) at a sanctimonious JB (to whom WZ owed his early breaks, no less).

YD&OHS, etc

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

mea culpa. i've heard another live zevon version in which he says browne's HAIR is perfect. haven't heard this version. my apologies.

Draft saved Draft deleted