1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Springsteen Song

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Apr 28, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

My favorite Bruce song is Spirits in the Night....by Manfred Mann's Earth Band.

Next four:
    --Prove It All Night
    --Glory Days
    --Jungleland
    --Out in the Streets

2. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

"Downbound Train" is my favorite. And yet, I don't recall ever seeing him perform this live in any of the 10 shows I've been to.

I also love the story behind "Youngstown" and the full-band live, crank-it-up version has always been a personal highlight.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Always loved "Bobby Jean". It may not have been one of his biggest hits, but the sound and lyrics are top-notch.

And Born to Run is one song I always crank up the volume when I'm driving my car.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I guess they must be too mainstream for true BS fans, but I'd go with Born to Run, Glory Days and Born in the USA. Thunder Road would be next.

I like the first three because of their instrumentals.

5. I'm not making a list, but, if I were, "One Step Up" would be on it.

6. Atlantic City.

In close second is Racin' In The Street. (At least today). I love the live versions where Roy Bittan works some magic on the piano.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

No love for "57 Channels"? 8)

8. tommyp

tommyp Member

Dah-um...so many faves. But these are the top 4 in my book.

Thunder Road: Not only his most romantic song, but the brilliance of the song is in its lack of verse/chorus, verse/chorus.
    Candy's Room: Builds to an explosive crescendo.
    Night: Hard-driving straight through.
    Lonesome Day: I can't help but sing this song every time I hear it.

9. It's odd. Bruce's albums have always seemed to mirror where I am in my life. "Thunder Road" came out as I was in a bleak outpost of journalism. "It's a town full of losers, I'm pulling out of here to win."
    "Darkness" was when I felt alienated and lost. "Born in the USA" was when I was hopeful despite long odds. I love "Brilliant Disguise" simply for the line, "God have mercy on a man. Who doubts what he's sure of." That really touched me about the ambiguity of life. "Better Days" came out in the year I got married. "Long Time Coming" related to me on how it was time to get my life together. Then I got laid off.

Right now, I love "This Hard Land," possibly because I'm looking for work after an accomplished career with little luck. "Hey there, mister, can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown. Can you tell me why they've never grown." I also ID with "Your Own Worst Enemy" because, in many ways, I am as I try to redefine myself.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Ever heard Townes Van Zandt do "Racing?" Good job.

11. 1. Thunder Road
    2. No Surrender
    3. Atlantic City
    4. The Rising
    5. Reason to Believe

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Tough question. I'll start with Jungleland and Thunder Road, mostly because they meant so much at the time, but there's so much good stuff. This morning "On Fire," never a huge favorite, came on the radio and I was loving the imagery:

At night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet
    and a freight train running through the
    middle of my head

I want to write a line like that before I die.

Draft saved Draft deleted