1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Springsteen Song

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Candy's Room. I like this live video from 1978:

My favorite video, though, is also from 1978 -- Prove it All Night. However, on the studio versions, I prefer Candy's Room to Prove it All Night, but would have to choose the latter for the live guitar solos:

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Kitty's Back

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Lots of love for Born to Run, but it came out when I was in college, and to me, it's "young guy" music. I think the Nebraska songs are more timeless. I would have said "Mansion on the Hill" as my favorite Bruce song, but I'm not completely sure Bruce wrote it.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

To me, Bruce is the perfect storyteller. I don't care as much about the music as I do about the lyrics. That being said, here is my current top 10.

1) Thunder Road -- the beginning of the song is simply perfect.

2) Incident -- his best "opera" song. So many great lyrics "Upstairs a band was playing and the singer was singing something about going home. She whispered Spanish Johnny you can leave me tonight, but just don't leave me alone." Man.

3a-b) The Promised Land/Badlands -- the two songs (along with the slightly inferior Darkness) where he finally boils down all of the wild imagery of the first 3 albums into what he's really thinking about.

5) Brilliant Disguise. You just don't live happily ever after.

6) Long Time Comin' -- anyone who has read these threads knows that I'm a huge fan of this song. Another song where basic beliefs are boiled down. The perfect song for those who had a bad childhood (everyone) and who want to do better for the next generation (ditto). "down below and pulling on my shirt, I've got some kids of my own. Well if I had one wish in this godforsaken world kids, it'd be that your mistakes would be your own. Yeah, your sins would be your own." The last two stanzas are the best lyrics he's written since the '70s.

7) Better Days. Never understood how this song wasn't a hit. "tonight I'm laying in your arms, carving lucky charms, out of these hard luck bones"

8) Jungleland

9) Shut Out the Light --Born in the USA was a very good song, and planted the seeds for songs like Youngstown. The more personal Shut Out the Light is just haunting.

10) Land of Hope and Dreams. A long, but logical trip from the car driving away in Thunder Road, to the communal train in LOHAD.

Five more songs which hit the right emotional notes for me:

-- Matamoros Banks
    -- Wreck on the Highway
    -- Stolen Car (Tracks version)
    -- How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times
    -- Long Walk Home

5. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

She's the One, Out in the Street, Prove it All Night, Badlands, about 25 others are loaded and ready on the iPod for my little trip to LAX in the morning, that's for sure. Can't go wrong with any Boss on a long flight.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The River

Jungleland
    Wreck
    Thunder Road
    Darkness
    Badlands

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Hammersmith Odeon version of that one is a fucking freight train.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

That's my favorite. I know some here might say it's overplayed, but it's a damn good song.

9. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Any song that doesn't have his voice singing it!

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Thunder Road
    Johnny 99
    Highway Patrolman
    One Step Up
    Sinaloa Cowboys

As always, subject to change depending on the day.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

there are lots of times when I prefer to hear Born to Run played this way:

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'll add a vote for "Meeting Across the River"

"Tunnel of Love" and "Girls in Their Summer Clothes" come close.

Draft saved Draft deleted