1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Springsteen Song

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

toss up between "Empty Sky" and "Into the Fire"

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Like many here, this could change in the next hour but I'll go with "Backstreets".

Rounding out the top 5:

"Darkness On The Edge Of Town"

"Cadillac Ranch"

"Racing In The Street"

"Open All Night"

Top five "obscurities":

"Paradise By The 'C'"

"Stand On It"

"Held Up Without A Gun"

"Be True"

"Bye Bye Johnny"

3. Backstreets

Point Blank

For You

Darkness on the Edge of Town

4. I'm Going Down
    Downbound Train

5. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Thunder Road - when the harmonica starts, you can feel the screen door slamming
    Backstreets - The band and the man at their elegiac best
    In Candy's Room - who doesn't want a girl like Candy?
    Trapped - loved it first time I heard it. Really the first Bruce song I really dug and it got me turned on to his stuff.
    Darkness on the Edge of Town (just barely over Prove It All Night, Badlands and Promised Land).

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Trapped is NOT a Bruce song.
    It is my No. 1 Bruce live cover.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention "Better Days."

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm trying to build my Bruce collection from the present on back, so my list will no doubt pale in comparison to others.

But I love the smoldering rage of "Brilliant Disguise," even if I can't quite grasp why he's singing it now with Patti. "Into The Fire" is probably my favorite track off a great album. And I've always loved "Human Touch" from the first time I heard it in 1992.

A current favorite is an album track off Human Touch called "I Wish I Were Blind."

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Bruce isn't someone I'm a huge connoiseur of, though he has some great tunes.

Streets of Philadelphia.

:D ;D ;) :) :eek: 8) ???

No, seriously:

"I'm on Fire" makes me laugh because Springsteen sounds nice and lecherous in it. "Glory Days" is a fun one to remember when participating in beer-league softball.

Most affecting is "The River." The lyrics are pretty clear that dude's life is finished at 19. No ambiguity, no chance for other interpretation.

Contrast that to Mellencamp's Jack and Diane opening he door to being loved by people who don't realize that it's about two kids who need to get the hell out of their nowhere small town.

10. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

Lucky Town

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Highway Patrolman.

And Nebraska is his best album, to me. Not a popular opinion, but I'll stand by it.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

No love for Born To Run?

Draft saved Draft deleted