1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Springsteen Song

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Apr 28, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

SportsJournalists.com is a goldmine of Springsteen knowledge. So, Springsteen fans, what's your favorite song by Bruce? Not best song musically-speaking...instead, personal favorite.

I'll go with "Meeting Across the River." Unusual song compared to much of his catalog- there isn't even a guitar on it. But very powerful and epitomizes the uneasy synthesis of optimism and weariness that characterizes much of Springsteen's work.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

"thunder road."

oodles of personal reasons, but moving even w/o those. tremendous appeal to local, small town girl to take a chance on going after bigger dreams.

full band or just piano version will do fine.

about 20 other songs are tied for a close second.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Wow...there are so many, but if you put a gun to my head, I might say "Spirit in the Night." The live version on that's on his Hammersmith Odeon concert cd is just electric.

If I were to choose a more obscure song, I might say either "Brothers Under the Bridge"--a poignant Vietnam song, or "The Fever" off 18 Tracks.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I was pretty blown away when I first heard the piano version of Thunder Road. It sounded like he had moved the setting of the song from a city in New Jersey to a little town in Western New York.

Beaker, I love the part when he loses his groovy 70s hat during that version of "Spirit."

5. chester

chester Member

Love the piano version of "Thunder Road". When my little girl was just a newborn, I used to turn that song on to calm her down. Never failed.

Also a big fan of the live version of "Youngstown"

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Badlands.
    Or Out in The Street.

Or something else. Hell, there's so many.

7. pa writer

pa writer Member

It depends on the mood I'm in, but right now it's "Candy's Room."

8. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Jungleland.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Thunder Road
    If you've never heard the early versions from Feb. 1975 with the different lyrics, check this out:

rounding out a top 5 - in no particular order - would be No Surrender, Racing in the Street, Badlands, Across the Border. Promised Land could make it in there on any particular day as could at least a dozen other songs.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Human Touch

11. Rambler

Rambler Member

Always loved "Trapped."

And "Because The Night."

And "Spirit in the Night."

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Jungleland, Out in the Street, Prove it All night (esp. Live in NYC version), Night, She's the One.

That top 5 coould change in the next hour.

Draft saved Draft deleted