1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Sports writer(s)?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gehrig, Nov 25, 2011.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Thing I liked most about Dickie is he always tried to capture the spirit of the thing ...

2. derwood

derwood Active Member

Why?

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Before I learned that such a proclivity was so gauche ... mine was...

Albom.

Hey. I grew up in Michigan and the MSU thing didn't happen until I was a senior in college. Cut me some slack.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Scott Price from SI.

5. HookEm2014

HookEm2014 Member

Kevin Sherrington (Dallas Morning News)

6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

No.

Sorry, but I think even beyond the proclivity for making thing up, Albom is a terrible hack who writes poor sports columns. I've felt this for years. But sure, I get it. I just ... gahhh it makes me so angry. Not even in a jealous way. I don't want to be Myth Albom. I just hate that most of his readers wouldn't understand why I call him that or, worse, would think that I call him that strictly for his Michigan State Final Four column, as if it were a one-time transgression.

I don't honestly hold his hackery against you, though, Chip.

8. Chuck_Tatum

Chuck_Tatum Member

I think a distinction needs to be made when it comes to Albom. He is a talented writer when it comes to putting words on the page. But I believe early in his career he made a calculated, cynical decision to subvert that talent by writing the schlock he does in exchange for fame and fortune. It worked, of course.

9. Don Perryman

Don Perryman Member

Jay Searcy. When I was a teenager I was fortunate enough to be able to read him in the Chattanooga Times. He is the person who got me interested in this business. Hated it when he left. I was left with Chickamauga Charlie for entertainment.

Dan Jenkins makes me laugh out loud. Love his style.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A riotous life force, at his peak.

You wonder what Loopy would have managed in the fiction department, if Jenkins had never existed.

11. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Jon Saraceno.

(Can't believe no one said it for me yet)

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm with Frank R. on Schulian.

And Whicker is unnervingly fast while good. And vice versa.

Draft saved Draft deleted