1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Sports writer(s)?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gehrig, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

My God.

That's akin to JoePa's "isolated lapse".

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's gotta be true!!

3. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Obviously, there are many.

Gary Smith and Dan Jenkins. And someone who I read every single time, no matter what, and a guy I don't think ever gets enough credit -- Michael Farber of SI.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The rarest are those guys who ware/are good, 98% of the time. A lot of the great old names were wildly uneven . . . it's understandable when you're called upon to pitch 4/5/6 times a week, but it is what it is. A goodly number of the old guys were great early, then hit "coast". Sad. Also true.

Then there are guys like Jones, who is unGodly in his consistency.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Consistency, as with quality, is in the eye of the beholder. I find Chris Jones to be wildly inconsistent. I love his best work -- some of the most affecting features written in recent years -- but his sports writing in particular is uneven.

For consistency and versatility, I don't think it gets better than Dan Wetzel. But I know others say Wetzel should be a college football guy because they don't like his other stuff.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Agree that Wetzel's terrific . . .

7. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

Dick young.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Indeed great, early . . . before he went off the rails . . .

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good call there. I'm not a huge hockey guy but I read all of Farber's stuff.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Odd, since he came up as a college basketball guy.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think he's become perhaps the college football voice since Death to the BCS, but I really meant all college sports, I suppose.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Read Death to the BCS, and admired the structure and the passion, but he didn't move me.

Draft saved Draft deleted