1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite sports movie(s)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ilmago, Sep 1, 2010.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Bull Durham, North Dallas Forty, Cinderella Man, Major League, all classics

A League of Their Own, Remember the Titans and Brian's Song are great, too

I also happen to like The Rookie and For the Love of the Game.

Rocky was awesome. The sequels weren't as good but I'll watch any of them if they're on TV.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Nevertheless, Double J appreciates the non-plug. ;D

And "Caddyshack" deserves mention as well.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

A League of Their Own tops my list.

Others, in no particular order:

* Facing the Giants (great, great movie)
    * The Karate Kid
    * Rocky
    * Rocky II
    * Rocky III
    * Eight Men Out
    * Vision Quest
    * Major League
    * Remember the Titans
    * The Longest Yard
    * The Fan

Ones I can do without:
    * Bull Durham
    * Field of Dreams (hate Costner)
    * The Next Karate Kid
    * Rookie of the Year
    * The Waterboy
    * Angels in the Outfield

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

WHERE'S THE PARTY??? :)

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Slap Shot.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Horsefeathers

7. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Didn't even think of the Rocky movies, I'm a huge Rocky fan, have seen all the movies about twenty times, except Rocky 4, I've seen that one about 50 times and know the movie almost by heart.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

ROO-DEE
    ROO-DEE
    ROO-DEE

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Major League and the Rocky movies are probably my favorites. I catch them on TV and I'm stopping there.
    Like Ilmago, I almost know Rocky IV by heart. At one point, I had even figured out a timeline for the Rocky saga -- the Drago fight was likely on Christmas Day 1984 -- and Rocky's career record by adding up the fights from all the movies. In a nice touch of continuity, the record they show in Rocky Balboa before he fights Mason Dixon is correct.

One I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet (especially since it's been on heavy rotation on Versus), is Tin Cup. It might be one of the best golf movies ever made, the ending is a classic and there's several memorable scenes sprinkled in elsewhere.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Love, love, love Tin Cup.

Actually, there aren't many sports movies I dislike, at least among the ones always listed on these kinds of threads.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

No "Raging Bull" yet?
    Or "The Set-Up," for boxing's seamy underside.
    "Grand Prix" - stick your head out of the suds, and you'll see some of the greatest cinematography ever. You can't get the kind of access needed to make anything like that anymore.
    Somebody has to make a great beach volleyball movie, though - "Side Out" sure isn't it.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Can't believe I left out the Rocky movies and North Dallas Forty. If Caddyshack qualifies, it certainly belongs on the list.

Also can't believe anybody included For Love of the Game. As I have mentioned many times on this site, I can't remember a movie that has ever disappointed me more. I love the book. I still read it every few months. What Costner and Raimi did to it was criminal.

Draft saved Draft deleted