1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite sporting event?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Kritter47, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Keep it up and I'll get so pissed I'll bust out IJAG's favorite Brook Jacoby card.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's a pretty weak deterrent.

Looking forward to Baseball Tonight this year, A_QB? Looking forward to seeing Dusty on a nightly basis? :D :D :D

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm picking Junkie in the Prancing Billy Series this year.

4. Uncle_buck

Uncle_buck Member

One great party is quite right. In 2003 I went and played in the Manilla 10's the weekend before the 7's then flew in to HK and went to play in the 10's at HKFC and then to top things off spent 3 days in the south stand creating absolute havoc!!! It was one great 10 days and one of the most memorable times of my life! Oh to be youthful enough to do it all again

5. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

As a Kentuckian, I'm obligated to tell you that our Sweet 16 is better and always has been.

Just kidding. I've never been to Indiana's, but I couldn't imagine the uproar that would take place if the KHSAA decided to split basketball into classes.

There was tons of ruckus when they created an "All-A" Classic for smaller schools that took place before the season ended, and that isn't even a true state championship, since all the teams in that are still eligible to go to Rupp.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

This is not even a competition: The NCAA men's basketball tournament. Beyond that, more specifically? The first two full days.

Thursday and Friday of the first weekend make my entire year wait worthwhile. I long for the days when I worked at a PM so I could wrap up the paper and be on my couch with a Pepsi by noon for the first tipoff.

Sweet Jesus, is it March yet?

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What she said. I miss having those days off to simply kick back and watch the tournament nonstop, waiting for the upsets to come in, because you know they're going to come soon enough.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

The opening rounds of the NCAA Tournament are what I miss most now that I'm working news side. I loved putting together section fronts for the first four days of the Big Dance. Even more than the Super Bowl.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Ah, a man after my own heart. Well done, CFC, especially the mad love for the Titans in Omaha.

To this, you can add MLB's Opening Day. Add the first weekend of the tournament and the Masters and it's easy to see why the third week of March to the second week of April is sporting Nirvana.

10. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I'll echo those who have praised the first Thursday and Friday of the NCAA tournament. This is the first year I'll actually work those days since I was in junior high; Dad somehow always managed to get me an early-dismissal slip in high school because of a phantom "doctor's appointment," and I've had good luck with college classes and vacation/personal days around that time.

But here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet -- the Friday night before the first big Saturday of college football season. Theoretically, a great season remains a possibility for every team in the country (NCS/non-BCS chatter be damned).

Every year at about midnight, about 12 hours before the first noon kickoffs of the first college FB gameday, I listen to the local high school scoreboard show on the radio and raise a toast to my beloved alma mater's hopes of going 11-0, 12-0 or 13-0.

11. Boxing for Boobs.

Draft saved Draft deleted