1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite sporting event?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Kritter47, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Big Ten-Pac 10 Rose Bowl (The REAL Rose Bowl)
    Game 7 of any World Series
    Game 7 of any Stanley Cup Final
    MLB Opening Day
    Cubs Mathmatical Elimination Day

2. 1) Le Tour de France.
    2) Yankees game in person - visiting Monument Park before the game was incredible. Too bad my brother (a huge Thurman Munson fan) never got a chance to see the stadium. God rest his soul.
    3) Cleveland Browns in person - If Art Modell ever makes it into the Hall of Fame, I will be there to protest.
    4) Ohio State football.
    5) U.S. Open and British Open.
    6) Toledo Mud Hens baseball in person. There's not a better minor league ballpark in the country.
    7) Boxing.
    8) Wimbledon.
    9) Stanley Cup Finals - this would be higher if the league didn't shut down for an entire year.
    10) NBA Finals - especially if the Pistons are in it.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Isn't that list repetitive at the end?

4. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Dale Jr has created a website for fans of The Infield.

www.infieldparking.com

A NASCAR "social networking" site.

I didn't click on the pictures so might be NSFW.

5. Uncle_buck

Uncle_buck Member

1. FIFA World Cup
    2. Rugby World Cup
    3. Wimbledon
    4. Tour de France
    5. Olympics
    6. Summer/Winter X Games
    7. US Masters
    8. A good Las Vegas Boxing supercard
    9. NBA Finals
    10. Hong Kong 7's rugby

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Why do you hate American sports? :)

7. Uncle_buck

Uncle_buck Member

It's not that at all. I actually love American Sports but I felt I could only list ones I really have access to see.

I love reading and seeing college hoops when I can but it is just not that available to me. I have subscriptions to many US sports publications which I rely on for so much of my information in the UK.

The sports higher up are just so much more available. If you were to ask what I would like to see as and what would be my favourite sporting event to go to, hell tailgating at a regular season NFL game would be something I love to do, going and sitting in the stadium with the fans in a Boca Juniors vs River Plate soccer game in Argentina would be in there, going to a Sumo tournament would be in there. I unfortunately could only comment on what I get to see......

One thing I don't like about American sports actually is the insistance on calling it the world series or world championships. Always gets me that one, especially as I'm not aware the US are the champions in either baseball or basketball currently!

8. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

It's certainly not the Super Bowl anymore, which I find overhyped, too long and boring almost every season now. With ESPN going to 24/7 NFL coverage for two weeks, it just gets old before kickoff. A one-week layoff would make the SB better, IMO.

For me:
    The Olympics will always be one of my favorites. I'm not a huge fan of any event in particular, other than 100M and short track speed skating, but there's something special about athletes that train for four years for a shot at gold. And the fact that in some events, like the 100M, diving, etc etc, their shot at perfection may last less than 10 seconds.

Being a Kentuckian, the Derby will always be one of my favorites. The thrill, pageantry and buzz of Derby Day is awesome, even though everyone in Louisville knows that Thursday is the best day to be at the track on Derby week.

The World Cup is up there, even though I hate soccer and just watched the WC for the first time last year. Something about the thrill and the passion had me hooked. I woke up at 4 to watch the US, went back to bed, then went to a friend's house and watched a random game with England.

And finally, opening day/baseball playoffs. The beginning to baseball season trumps the beginning to any other season, if only for the fact that they don't put meaningless spring training games on TV and the fact that day baseball is still the greatest thing in sports. Throw in the first day of the playoffs, when the games go on all day, and it's a beautiful thing.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

NHL Stanley Cup Finals (the playoffs themselves are a 2-month binge for me :) ).
    Indianapolis 500 -- the "spectacle" isn't quite what it used to be, but the on-track racing is as good as ever.
    Winter Olympics (esp. the hockey tournament)
    NCAA basketball 1st & 2nd rounds
    Rose Bowl -- but only when it's Big 10 vs. Pac 10
    Super Bowl
    FIFA World Cup
    And, until 1997 (but not since), the Indiana high school basketball tournament

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Aren't these two usually a week apart?

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

My favorite sports moment is the time when the teams are lining up for the opening kickoff of the Super Bowl. At that point, all the hype is gone and anything is possible.

My favorite sporting event is any in-person game that features back-and-forth action and a thrilling finale. And since you never know when one of those moments will strike, it's like waiting for lightning to come down.

12. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Uncle Buck,

Thought it is not my "favorite" event, the Rugby Sevens in Hong Kong is one great party.

Draft saved Draft deleted