1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite sporting event?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Kritter47, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

I'm sure this thread has been done a zillion times here, but it hasn't been done since I've been here, dammit, and I'm curious.

I was looking through You Tube clips tonight, and it only served to remind me how much of a sucker I am about the Olympics. They're over-commercialized, over-hyped and over-exposed, but damn if I didn't cry watching the highlight reels from the 1996 Games, one of the worst in all three regards.

I'm a sucker for the Triumph Of The Human Spirit storylines that always emerge, and nothing makes me cry happy tears faster than seeing any person in their moment of ultimate accomplishment. Yes, I am that much of a dork. But I own it. So there.

For those of you who've been around the block more than me, what's your favorite event to watch/cover/talk about/really anything? Why? I'm thinking event more in once-a-year-or-less terms, but if you love being around weekly chess matches, I'm sure that's just as compelling in some way.

We now return to your regularly scheduled political bickering.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Wimbledon or the Winter Olympics.

We've got local guys who ski, etc. And I was raised on Wimbledon. That was the first real sporting event I remember paying rapt attention to as a child.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The FIFA World Cup.

Nothing else comes close. Countries on all levels of economic and military development competing, and the playing field is becoming more wide open every time. The same group wins it all, but the semifinals always have interlopers. And again, the richest countries aren't automatically the best.

And . . .for what it's worth, I also cry when I remember the 1996 Olympics. Mainly because of our little redneck "Proud to be an American" (where at least I know I'M free!) tune as the gymnastics midgets had their "we won gold" presentation. A truly embarrassing moment, as we played THAT song with the world's eyes on us.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

To cover? College basketball. Teams are small so you can know a ton about most of the players.
    To watch? First round of the NCAA men's basketball tourney.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The World Cup is moving up my list, but for now it is: 1. Any Yankees playoff game, especially when they win. 2. March Madness. 3. Any Seahawks playoff game.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Kentucky Derby

7. the first round of the ncaa hoops tournament
    afc/nfc title game sunday
    MLB opening day

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The whole first weekend (Thursday-Sunday) of the NCAAs is like Nirvana for me. If I didn't have to work, I'd veg out for 4 days and crank up the home theater.

For live events, give me a NASCAR race. That campground scene can get wild.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

By the time Sunday night rolls around, you find yourself demanding more college hoops... it is a drug -- a good one...

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

cockfighting

11. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Dog shows.

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

1. FIFA World Cup

2. Super Bowl
    3. NBA Finals

43254325. World Series :p