1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite sport to attend as a fan?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ace, Jan 17, 2007.

1. In my area there is a minor league baseball team and a minor league hockey team. I love going to them because they are cheap and fun. It doesn't really get much better.

Except a good college basketball game. That blows everything else out of the water.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Junior hockey's awesome. Smaller rinks and great action. Far more affordable than the NHL.

There's nothing quite like sitting ringside at the fights, even if it's just a club card featuring local pugs. Just the sound of the punches is a totally different thing.

JR's right, the Skydome gets shit on plenty in these parts but on a sunny weekend afternoon there aren't many better places to be in Toronto.

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

From the social standpoint, baseball's my game. But from the adrenaline standpoint, ice hockey is the sport of preference. Atmosphere-wise, I'll never say no to college football, either.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Probably a walleye fishing tournament.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, particularly when we're sucking back the $11.00 beers.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Baseball. Usually a somewhat inexpensive ticket, great mellow atmosphere, a thousand things to see, and you have the time to look for them.

International soccer games are amazing, though. Doesn't matter who's playing, but the World Cup is preferable.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn. This might be the second time ever that we've completely agreed. ;)

Baseball's my first and truest love. I cannot live in a city without baseball, and I much prefer MLB, which is never an expensive outing for me at all (I've been buying nosebleeds and sneaking into box seats since I was 7; learned it from my dad, who learned it from his. Rate of success hasn't changed no matter how old I get. :))

But the hands-down best live experience is hockey, and it doesn't matter to me whether it's NHL or AHL/ECHL (although the NHL has way overpriced its fans, and that's sad). There's just something about being at a pro hockey game that far surpasses any other sport -- the chill of the ice on your face when you walk through the tunnel, the speed of the players, the speed of the game, the crunch of the boards, the thrill of the red light and the horn going off ... oh, and the fights, of course. It's just as enjoyable when you're pounding on the glass as when you're in the farthest corner of the rink, watching the play develop from above. They're different ways of watching a game, but they both offer a unique experience. There's no bad seat at a hockey game (well, except an obstructed-view seat ::)). You really do have to attend a game in order to appreciate the sport. TV can't -- and will never -- do it justice.

8. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

The verdict is in and it is BASKETBALL for sure.

9. tommyp

tommyp Member

I could not have said it better. So I won't.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I know I'm going to get beat up but ...

Greyhound racing and pro wrestling.

My uncle back in the Auld Sod was both a greyhound breeder and a professional wrestler (he had a loincloth Tarzan thing going and cracked coconuts when doing a bicep flex). So he explained both to me--how greyhound races are easier to fix than a wrestling match. God, I get misty just thinking about those times--seeing my other uncles loading other owners' dogs in the boxes pre-race, Vaseline smeared across their beady little eyes, while my uncle's dog just had a mustard-covered finger jabbed up his ass.

Good times.

YHS, etc

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the heartbreakers' soccer games. although softball starts this sping, and i'm sure there will be a new No. 1.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

that us/mexico game was probably the coolest event i've been at. it was just awesome. i wish i was a fan at that game instead of covering it. would have loved to have been sitting with pastor and his boys. woulda been much, much more fun. but still, it was awesome. just awesome.

baseball and hockey are the only ones i'll pay to go see, for all the reasons already mentioned

i've been given tickets to nba games -- even playoff games -- and was bored out of my skull. just awful. just awful. turn off the goddamn music while they're playing. so manufactured and bullshit.

basically, i don't want to deal with fans anywhere i go, they ruin a lot of shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted