1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite sport to attend as a fan?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ace, Jan 17, 2007.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

For me, no doubt it's baseball. My best memories growing up are going to Royals Stadium with my family, and I hope my kids have similar memories. It's one of the few "family environments" in sports.

When it comes to TV, college basketball.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ace --

I agree with everything you said except for one thing: Hockey is the other sport that is better in person.

Especially in a smaller rink, you really get the feel for the action that just doesn't come across on television.

The game is simply too fast for conventional camera work.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

There's no question a great hockey game is the most enjoyable to watch in person. If you have decent seats, you get a feel for the physical nature of the game. You're obviously more likely to have a better view as a fan than you are working in the rafters at most hockey press boxes.

A big-time college-basketball game such as Duke-North Carolina can be electric as well. I've been at courtside at Cameron for one of those matchups and it's intense.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's apples and oranges compared to stadium sports, but I'll take golf. So many ways to take it in. Pick one group and follow them all the way around the course, or pick a favorite hole and hang out there all day. My favorite sport to attend with my Dad.

Favorite sport to attend with the buddies is baseball. Always play the dollar-in-a-cup game when we've got a big group.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It really depends on the type of game I want to see.

Baseball has tons of drama and a calm pace. So I enjoy those games live.

A soccer game, particular the US/Mexico game I saw to qualify for the World Cup, is just fanatically incredible.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Minor league baseball is about the only sport I ever pay to go see in person any more and I love it. If I'm sitting at home with a night off I'll likely watch some college basketball or football.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

For me, nothing beats an international soccer game.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You are correct, Zeke. Hockey and baseball are two sports that fare poorly on TV.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Watching baseball in person, on a nice sunny day, using my binoculars to scope every hotty in the stadium and drinking overpriced beer has got to be one of the greatest sports outings around.

Who won the game?

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Got to agree there. MLB is just too expensive anymore unless you want to sit out in the boonies. At the minor-league parks near me, I can get a great seat for about $6, have decent room to spread out, and the beer isn't terrinly expensive, $3-4 for 20 oz. Can take the family for about $45, which is the cost of one decent seat at the closest MLB park.

I like college football live too but the commercial breaks are getting ridiculous.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

High school basketball. I could attend a game every night -- covering or not -- if it wouldn't cause (deserved) strife at home...

After that, college hoops and college hockey

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Soccer.

I grew up in the standing room only end of the ground where everyone knew the words to every song, and we sang them all game long. My team would always attack our end in the second half, and everyone would go apeshit when we scored. I was a season-ticket holder, and every Saturday afternoon or weekday night was like going to church. Walk to the stadium, and walk home. Bloody brilliant.

Draft saved Draft deleted