1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Song

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, Jul 27, 2013.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If I had to pick just one... "Thunder Road" - Springsteen.

Hope, fear, escape, it has it all. It was the summer of '84, between my freshman and sophomore years of high school when I first heard it and immediately connected with it and it's been a favorite ever since.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

A pretty close second would be Gimme Shelter.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I have no interesting stories related to any of my favorite songs, movies, TV shows, books, paintings or poems. I'd have the worst autobiography.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I was in Paris last month on vacation, staying in a hotel next to the Sorbonne. There was a tremendous new & used record store barely a block from my hotel. I probably spent at least four hours wandering around that place. It was honestly one of the high points of the vacation for me. God, I miss wandering in a good record store. Book and record stores are still everywhere in Europe.

Anyway, on topic... probably "Recurring Dream" by Crowded House. The opening guitar riff gets me every time.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

"M-M-M-My G-G-G-Generation." Absolutely the perfect rock song.

Close second is "For What It's Worth."

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Buffalo Springfield has a bunch of songs worthy of the "favorite" title, including the above classic.

Mine would be "Rock 'n Roll Woman," or maybe "On the Way Home."

Too hard to pick just one!

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Ditto on the can't pick just one, but the first one that came to mind was "She Sells Sanctuary" by the Cult. Love the guitars on that song.

If I was picking one with the best storyline or lyrics, I'd go "Minutes to Memories" from John Mellencamp.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Just buy Kramer's

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

For me, Thunder Road is just the perfect song.

I've always said that if you buy into the cult of Bruce, this song has to be at or very, very near the top of your favorite songs by him.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's in my top 20, but I prefer "Backstreets" and "Meeting Across the River" off Born to Run alone. I think what makes Bruce Springsteen so impressive is the depth of his catalog.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

That's the beauty of Springsteen - the depth of his catalog.
    I think it would be rare to find two Springsteen fans with the same 10 favorite songs.
    Used to work with a guy in his 50s who was a huge Bruce fan as well. A co-worker asked us each to name our 10 favorite Bruce songs and was shocked that we only had 4 songs the same.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Meeting is a great little song -- both naming the girl Cherry and the "change your shirt" aside give the song the proper atmosphere. It's not a "mission statement" Bruce song like Thunder Road, Born to Run or Badlands (to name 3), but it is top 25. I've never been a Backstreets guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted